Suzuki GT750J

You can chat about anything you like here
Roger Ackery

Suzuki GT750J

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi Guys,I've had 3 Kettles over the last 30 something years, a '74 L,'75M & my current ride for the last 16 Years my much loved '76 750A model.I seriously thinking of buying a '72J model,
Never ridden one,but have always liked the look of them,especially in Magenta,I know they are down on power when compared to the later models,& obviously the braking is different with the drum brakes,any other noticeable differences in handling & performance ?
Thanks for any input & thoughts..
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Alan H

Re: Suzuki GT750J

Post by Alan H »

I rode a couple back in '72 when they were new and was so impressed woth the power, handling and braking, I bought a GT550J. Eddie Crooks 'breathed' on it as they had a production racer 550 at the time and I never regretted buying it.
Some years later a mate bought a new 750A and that actually went, handled and stopped properly (remember this was 1976 by then) and I was quite impressed. Unfortunately (for me) I got inolved with a lass with a couple of very young daughters and lived with/brought them up for the next 6 years, so bikes didn't figure any more.
Many years later, after having a CBX for a couple of years, I returned to a 550, then another 550, a 750B and soon another 550 - a J again.
Make of all that what you like, but ride a 750J as a comparison, then stick to your A model.
Of course, others may disagree, but the later 750s are much better IMO. Or try a 550, you will be impressed, I'm sure.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I wouldn’t say the 750J is down on power by a huge amount but they do deliver it in a different way. There isn’t a power band at all it just picks up its skirt and goes from nothing (relatively speaking) it’s more like a four stroke. I think they are smoother than the later (lesser) bikes.
A huge plus is they don’t have surging problems.
Handling is no better or worse than the later bikes. Braking is an acquired taste, when adjusted correctly the front brake is good until it gets hot then it just stops working! two up it’s dangerous. It’s the best looking of all the 750’s bar none, especially in pink FACT!
I sometimes wish I still had mine.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
teazer

Post by teazer »

I agree. Each to their own in terms of taste, but stock the pink J is in a class of its own. Forks could probably be updated to a more modern design without anyone noticing and decent shocks and swingarm bearings help too. Frame design basically didn't change over the life of the bike. And if you were silly enough to want more power, the exhaust ports can be raised to MAB specs pretty easily and it still keeps the same bottom end grunt. Just don't mess with the intake floors
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

;) Thank you Gentlemen for your replies ;)
The J is in Queensland so if I want a ride it will be a short holiday trip for me from Sydney.
Asking price is $12,000 ,dollars,an American Import brought to Australia some years ago,
Has been registered before so no trouble about the Title
I could spend a lot less,by giving my GT750A a bit of a freshen up ;)
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Fetch it here and Baz will do it.
We can show you a good time Image while this is going on, of course! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Flyingscotsman1

Post by Flyingscotsman1 »

I have a 72 bike in pink and love it i had one new in 72 but let it go as was racing Nortons then and could not afford both. My wife bought mine two years ago for mt 60th birthday I have still got the Nortons i raced in the70s and we bought a now Norton Anniversary cafe racer in May but still love the Kettle it is so comfortable and will ride all day at 80 mph get one you will love it.