Missing link!!!

You can chat about anything you like here
Dutch

Missing link!!!

Post by Dutch »

Hi folks,

Decided to take the Kettle for a spin yesterday and was giving the chain a drop of oil and noticed the split link missing, so lucky and obviously didn't get out on the bike.
I think it must have come off during our recent rally as I oiled the chain before I left home and would have spotted it missing then surely.

Has anyone else had this come off and am I right in saying the link should snap on with the round part facing the direction of travel, as that's the way I put it on.

Cheers
Jeff
Attachments
IMG_20190818_122708.jpg
GT750A
mick 63

Re: Missing link!!!

Post by mick 63 »

yes mate closed end to direction of travel ;) , cheers Mick.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Lucky escape. I had similar on the Hippo last year, and noticed it before it caused a problem. I check them regularly now!!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Hi Jeff, I had the same thing happen on FAB a while back, the strange thing was the chain had been on for some time with the "C" pin and plate in place with no problems. I'd happened to be over at Baz's in Dudley and Baz had taken the bike for a spin to see if it was running okay and as he returned up his drive the chain fell off. :o So after a lot of investigating and getting onto Crooks Suzuki, Who'd supplied the chain, it turned out that there had been a batch of faulty joining links where the "C" clip hadn't located properly in the grooves on the pins, either because the retaining plate was too thick (most probable) or the grooves on the pins were in the wrong place. Fortunately the chain fell off at low speed, otherwise there could have been a nasty accident. So as Jeff says, always check that the "C" clip clicks properly into place and the open end is not in the direction of travel.
P.S. Since then I'll only use a heavy duty endless chain, well worth the extra cost, not only because it lasts much longer and needs less adjusting, but also for the peace of mind. :P
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Thanks for your replies guys,

I've ordered another split link with the complete link included so will replace the whole lot when it arrives. I tried to fit an 'O' ring endless chain a while back Ste but had problems with clearance on the front sprocket even with 2 spacers fitted behind it. I still have it but will need another link if I try that option again. One thing for certain though I'll be checking this split link regularly.

Cheers guys and thanks again for your comments
Jeff
GT750A
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Jeff, that's strange because I only had to fit one spacer behind the front sprocket to avoid the chain foiling the engine, I did have to "adjust" the chain guard though as the chain was touching it near the front. The only downside I've found with an endless chain is, it's a bit more of a faff about taking the back wheel out. :o
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

I think I'll give the endless chain another go when I get chance, looking back now I have doubts whether I put the link on properly when joining the chain and it may not have been seated properly :?

Thanks Steve
GT750A
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

I recently fitted a DID Heavy Duty chain. It has a split link which needs a chain press to fit it. The U clip is then fitted afterwards but is only there in case of a failure of the pressed on plate. Seems to work fine.
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Hi Jeff,

I fitted one of these recently as they were on offer at the time and only cost me £53.00. Comes with the rivet link and the chain is slightly narrower than the ‘O’ ring so didn’t need to shim out the drive sprocket. Just cut it to the correct size, 108 links if I remember, and no more worries about the split link coming loose and the chain trashing the crankcases.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3847849519
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I always thought that fellow from oop Yorkshire way was the missing link :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!