Feeling painty

You can chat about anything you like here
canaletto5

Re: Feeling painty

Post by canaletto5 »

Yes,that's interesting. I have never had these problems with waterbase colours Malky. I am applying a lot of solvent based coats before decal stage (primer, silver base and candy ) so I think it may be that it needs a lot longer to evaporate out before putting on the decals. Kev
malky

Post by malky »

Yes - good point it's surprising how long the solvent takes to come out - when we painted that GT250K tank with the pearl white flashing on it it took a week before it settled down enough to do anything else to it
Mal.
keithbailey

Post by keithbailey »

Hi Kev
Solvent usually evaporates a lot quicker than water base, don't want to tell you how to suck eggs but my lads clear coat, then scotch the next day, then leave for a couple of days to let the lacquer breath, then apply the decals with water,leave for a further couple of days, then apply 2 more coats of clear.
Keith
KETTLE 750 J
BMW S1000XR
Harley Road King
Honda CB750 K
Lambretta 1964 ser 3
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Hi Keith

I'm not a professional so teach away mate!

Interestingly, I've started to have this problem about the same time I started using water to apply the decals. Before that I applied them dry which was a bit nerve wracking. I think I may be using too much water and not making sure that the decals are stuck right down as a result. Kev
malky

Post by malky »

We always use a felt squeegee thing that you use when putting vehicle graphics etc on or failing that an old credit card/filler paste spreader with a piece of cotton cloth on it works well to make sure all the water/washing up liquid mix is out from behind the decals
Mal.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Yep, me too Malky but I don't think I flatted the surface enough or made sure I pressed the decals down firmly enough and I used too much water. (What could possibly go wrong :lol: )

Anyhoo, refitted the repainted tank to my daily rider GS750 and did a forty miler around the Derbyshire dales this afto. Stunning weather.
IMG_3039.JPG
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I was very tempted to call in on the way home as we went past the end of you road today (ooer mother), on the way home, but Lynn wasn't happy about the grief it would cause you. - me, I couldn't give a toss, but there y'go........ :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I never have any of these problems, I just make sure I shake the can up properly before I start :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I never have any of these problems, as my efforts below show :roll:
Attachments
F1EEC759-572B-4CF2-883E-C477440B3FCF.jpeg
Last edited by PaulD738 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

But why do it twice?
Are you going wappy(er) in your dotage?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated