Ethanol in a 2stroke

You can chat about anything you like here
KETTLE BOY

Ethanol in a 2stroke

Post by KETTLE BOY »

Just had a small read through this info... Let me know if its interesting I got bored halfway through..
http://armchairbiker.com/ethanol-in-pet ... d-to-know/
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

Alan H

Re: Ethanol in a 2stroke

Post by Alan H »

Yes it's interesting. It's quite technical though, so perhaps it's beyond your comprehension as the really good stuff is at tbe end. :roll:
I'll summarise it for those with similar soporific issues.
Ethanol E5 is crap but if you run your bike regularly it will be ok - probably.
Ethanol E10 is very crap and will cause carb problems.

What to do.
Use 'super' or 97 octane petrol. It doesn't have any E numbers in. Oh, and most supermarket petrols are cheap for a reason especially from the company that starts with 'T' and ends in 'esco'. That's only my opinion of course, but their 'little' never helped me or anyone other than them I reckon.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

So why don't they say that.. Waffle.. Waffle.. Us 10 year old don't understand the big words ... :D :lol: :lol:
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Writers get paid by the word.........
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:
Most supermarket petrols are cheap for a reason especially from the company that starts with 'T' and ends in 'esco'. That's only my opinion of course, but their 'little' never helped me or anyone other than them I reckon.
Many moons ago I used to deliver petrol & diesel to garages and supermarkets. Some petrol companies used to advertise that their fuel had additives this and detergents that in their fuel and charged you more for the privilege of using it! What most people didn’t know was that virtually all the fuel in the NW used to come from the same storage depot and as the so called “additives” where manually poured into the tanker by the driver with a big jug it all depended what mood he was in and if he didn’t feel like climbing up the ladder to the tank top then no additives where added :roll:
Of course I was always very conscientious and did the job properly :P
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

How times change............
teazer

Post by teazer »

Interesting, yes, but not much that you didn't already know. Fortunately it's a pretty simple document to read and actually not as technical as it might appear at first glance.
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

It was my understanding from other forums that today nearly all the superunleaded fuel does have ethanol in it. The same forums said the only super unleaded that doesn't is Esso - but that is not from first hand experience. It is fairly easy to check so I might do just that and report back
Edit: sorry I hadn't read the article before I wrote the above, but I now note they mention Esso super specifically too

Simon
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

According to the VJMC newsletter Tansha, in the NW only Esso super is ethanol free. Other areas may differ. There is a kit you can buy to check the ethanol content and another to remove it completely if your really concerned ;)
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!