canaletto5

Re: .. M. O. T. Is changing this month 20th

Post by canaletto5 »

No mate. just SORNed with no MOT. Kev
750dunc

Post by 750dunc »

canaletto5 wrote:No mate. just SORNed with no MOT. Kev
Think you might have to do the initial historic thing for tax at the post office,they send it off then, then fill the mot exemption form in at the same time, cheers
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

750dunc wrote:
canaletto5 wrote:Just did the same with my GT380. Success! Tried it with the 550. Failure! The 380 was registered in October 76 and the 550 registered in May 77. Confuserated :roll:
Hi Kev is your 550 classed as historic already ?
Kev is - he's retired to a life of luxury and debauchery. :o
We'll he would if their lass let him! :|
(Hopefully she'll never find out his ambitions, eh?) :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Alan H wrote:
750dunc wrote:
canaletto5 wrote:Just did the same with my GT380. Success! Tried it with the 550. Failure! The 380 was registered in October 76 and the 550 registered in May 77. Confuserated :roll:
Hi Kev is your 550 classed as historic already ?
Kev is - he's retired to a life of luxury and debauchery. :o
We'll he would if their lass let him! :|
(Hopefully she'll never find out his ambitions, eh?) :lol:
Shh... Don't tell anyone :lol:
Rhencullen

Post by Rhencullen »

Sorry to bring this up again but my Kettle has its MOT due on 9th June. I renewed the historic tax in April with no fuss online.

If the MoT for a vehicle more than 40 years old expires before its next taxation anniversary, the DVLA computer and therefore the police will recognise it as MoT exempt until the taxation date. If the owner declares it as a VHI at that point, it will continue to be exempt. If the owner doesn't, it will require an MoT test before being driven on the road. Quote - Classic Cars

I'm assuming that I don't need to do anything at this point regarding the MOT, but just need to tick a box saying that it is MOT exempt next April when I "renew the tax ".
1977 Suzuki GT750B - 2003 Honda CB1300 - 1979 Honda CBX1000
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Rhencullen wrote:Sorry to bring this up again but my Kettle has its MOT due on 9th June. I renewed the historic tax in April with no fuss online.

If the MoT for a vehicle more than 40 years old expires before its next taxation anniversary, the DVLA computer and therefore the police will recognise it as MoT exempt until the taxation date. If the owner declares it as a VHI at that point, it will continue to be exempt. If the owner doesn't, it will require an MoT test before being driven on the road. Quote - Classic Cars

I'm assuming that I don't need to do anything at this point regarding the MOT, but just need to tick a box saying that it is MOT exempt next April when I "renew the tax ".

I am in the same position. I intend to SORN on the 1st June, then apply online to tax it again, at which point I hope to be able to declare it as a VHI and it will then be MOT exempt. I presume if I did nothing then my bike would not be registered as a VHI and would still need an MOT. I am waiting until 1st June as when you decalre SORN online it is 5 days before you re-tax online, and I will be riding the bike this week. Alternatively you can re-tax immedialty at the post office. But I will wait the 5 days as our post office has just closed and I cant be bothered to go elsewhere.

Harry
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

You can actually do it online when you tax it it comes up with a box to tick decalring it mot exempt, I have done two already
Rubydog

Post by Rubydog »

Hello all, my ‘74 750L is an USA import, & its mot ran out on 15th May, the tax ran out on 1st June, so I couldn’t tax it on line.

When you read the requirements for SORN you don’t actually have to SORN for no mot, just no tax or no insurance. So I let my mot run out, waited until 21st, printed off the new (amended) on line V112 form ( put r in the box ) & went to the post office with it & my tax reminder letter. The nice lady there smiled, looked at the tax reminder & the V112. She didn’t ask to see my V5c,& gave me everything back with a receipt for my free road tax ( it had already been declared as tax exempt last time ) so I went away happy.

I now think it would have been easier to have SORN’d it, then waited until 21st or 20th & just retaxed it on line though.
The 40 yrs is from the manufactured date ( 1974 in my case ) not the registered date, as I didn’t register mine in the uk until 2014.

The only dilemma I may have now is that I have a 380K which isn’t yet uk registered although I have all the relevant dating documents etc, but never got around to mot-ing it to register it. Can I now register it without an mot or not ?
johnbno1

Post by johnbno1 »

I don't know how that will work I know my 750b which hasn't been on the road since 1981 and I only just got put back on the system had to send pictures of the frame and engine numbers etc to dvla to get the v5 logbook doesn't need mot when I looked but I do have to tax it because it was registered Feb 78 if that helps?
Rubydog

Post by Rubydog »

Thanks, I don’t think anyone is sure as its untrodden ground really. I think i’ll mot it anyway ( if I can make the time ! ) then send it all off to the dvla with fingers crossed same as I did with the 750L, it might be easier & at least I’ll know it’s safe at that point. I’ll tick the box on line the year after though.
In the meantime i’ll still have to do it with my ‘74 TS100 which has clear frame & engine numbers but absolutely no paperwork at all ! Oh dear ....