Gear Box Oil Levels

You can chat about anything you like here
Roger Ackery

Gear Box Oil Levels

Post by Roger Ackery »

I;) Hi,is it possible to have failing crank seals without lots of smoke or visible gear oil running from the breather ? I do have a very small weeping leak from the points can shaft,looks like I've lost around :oops: :roll: 300cc of gear oil in the last 12 months..as I measure what comes out & what goes back in :? Had mates follow me & they say there is very little smoke to be seen..if anything is the left cylinder that smokes more than the other 2 :?: Engine has done 63,000km since professional engine rebuild :!:
Last edited by Roger Ackery on Sat May 12, 2018 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
barney01

Re: Gear Box Oil Levels

Post by barney01 »

Roger it could just be this

https://www.discountbikespares.co.uk/ou ... GT380.html
I think you would probably have other symptoms, like hard starting and down on power if it were the crank seals.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi Barney,thanks for you reply mate,
I had all the baffles out a week ago,these photos taken this afternoon ;) As you can see the left cylinder is very wet,the others are dry by comparison,they all showed signs of condensation being present!!
But that left hand one is really wet & I can scoop an oily sludge out of the pipe itself :evil: :roll:
Maybe this is my missing 300cc of gear box oil :idea: :cry: :cry: Any ideas anybody as to what's going on :?:
Bike is going well,apart from a vibration around 2500rpm which its always had,before & after motor rebuild :!:Last Photo is top Pipe Left Cylinder "the oily one"
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi,here is an update on the oil issue
Just done 20 kms & taken this photo,
Bike seems to be running fine,idle can "drop" & nearly stall sometimes, while stopped at traffic lights etc. radiator level has not fallen,
Also a picture of the "sludge" I scooped out of the left cylinder exhaust pipe :evil:
Coffee cup of "sludge" and oil soaked rag :twisted:
image.jpeg
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Roger Ackery on Sun May 13, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
rodent

Post by rodent »

Roger, whilst I can't help with your issue :(

I feel for you living in a school zone :( But at least you have a 7/11 next door for when the cravings hit 8-)
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi,rodent,you obviously have some location app on your phone OR you work for the CIA or similar :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
rodent

Post by rodent »

Roger Ackery wrote:Hi,rodent,you obviously have some location app on your phone OR you work for the CIA or similar :lol: :lol: :lol:
None of the above Roger, just a friendly neighbour who can see what you posted :)