Just a heads up on car insurance re-new.

You can chat about anything you like here
KETTLE BOY

Just a heads up on car insurance re-new.

Post by KETTLE BOY »

Just a heads up on car insurance... Took out a new car insurance.. paid for it online.. Then they sent me the details in an email printed them off and stored them in a folder. got an email from him a week or so later asking me for proof of no claims.. ( As normal for a change of car insurance) I thought but one reading it carefully noticed they asked me if you questions which are not happy with.. one is a photocopy of my V5 ( log book) all four pages and a photocopy both sides of my driving licence.. I've been driving for over 40 years and never been asked this before.. is this a new thing they're doing? Because I'm not happy with it, and just after 24 days, I might cancel.. I rang them today, and after being put on hold for 10 minutes, was speaking to a young guy, that was rude and talked over me, and kept saying I'm not being rude, then was rude again.. Thinking of canceling , than I would do that, and loose my money they give them my personal information.. what do you guys think.. :twisted: :evil:
malky

Re: Just a heads up on car insurance re-new.

Post by malky »

Can't see why they would want a copy of the V5 it's not much point in insuring a car that isn't in your name and can't see why they would want a copy of driving licence either - its almost as if they don't trust you - name and shame ! So that the rest of us don't "BOTHER " them
:evil:
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I'll second that. They don't need your details - they should be able to access DVLA to see your licence and vehicle details - if they can't, they're duds. Cancel and let them (try to) sue you. Contact the insurance ombudsman about this - and tell us who they are.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

My car is in the garage at the moment, having a service. But when it's done and home on my drive, there toast... I'm not giving them anything, and don't want anymore to do with them.. This is them ( photo) did some more digging on them and found this.... Looks like I'm not the only one there rude too.. :evil: :evil:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.rcib.co.uk
Attachments
IMG-20180523-WA0011.jpeg
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Looks like an expensive lesson learned. I detest online services and prefer to phone a company to set up a service, so if there's delays or anything odd about the initial call, they don't get on my (written) own comparison list. Thanks for the heads up KB, hopefully you'll get your money back quickly.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
malky

Post by malky »

What a shower of sh!7 to be avoided at all costs methinks
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

I have just recently taken out a first time policy on a motorhome that i purchased,
I was asked for a copy of my driving licence so i gave them a copy.
They also requested a code from the DVLA that allows them to view your licence,Only you can request this code from dvla,Without it they cannot check.
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

Kettletimes3 wrote:I have just recently taken out a first time policy on a motorhome that i purchased,
They also requested a code from the DVLA that allows them to view your licence,Only you can request this code from dvla,Without it they cannot check.
And a photo of all 4 sides of your v5 log book?..
;) :o.. WHY??
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

KETTLE BOY wrote:
Kettletimes3 wrote:I have just recently taken out a first time policy on a motorhome that i purchased,
And a photo of all 4 sides of your v5 log book?..
;) :o.. WHY??
No just my Licence.
teazer

Post by teazer »

Sounds like some of the on-line companies here in the US. They are re-sellers of insurance and onew way they reduce their cost and risk is to actually check on your driving record and to ensure that the vehicle is what you say it is. That makes a certain amount of business sense as long as they are upfront about it.

A second issue is that most on-line start ups have a business model that makes money as long as they don't have to talk to customers. To me, that's fine if I am buying something simple, but with insurance, I have it for a reason and if/when I need to make a claim, I need to have access to a real human that listens.

We have a broker here that we have worked with for years that deals with any claims really fast and to me that is worth forging the upfront savings of going with an online cheap company that may not be set up to deal with customers.

YMMV