Leaking Fuel Tap

You can chat about anything you like here
Roger Ackery

Leaking Fuel Tap

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi, my Kettle 750A has a leaking fuel tap on reserve position only,so far :idea:
I also have one very oily left cylinder exhaust baffle,I think it's fuel & oil,maybe water/condensation :?:
Is it better to replace the tap,rather than rebuild it :?: :idea:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
barney01

Re: Leaking Fuel Tap

Post by barney01 »

Hi Roger
These taps all leak eventually but I have repaired several. It's usually the circular seal or the V seal under the lever that's the culprit. If it leaks in all positions it's usually the O ring on the diaphragm piston.watch here for help
https://youtu.be/qWNyvjaWfz8
Just be aware when ordering parts early and late taps are different
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

;) Thanks Barney,have watched the Video :) it is leaking around the lever rather badly but not on prime or run,I mentioned the oily exhaust as I've been told by somebody that a leaking tap,can be the culprit.over fuelling the cylinder(s) the lower left pipe is also a little wet ? any thoughts on that one ? :idea:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

The problem with the lever gasket is the rubber is soft to make the seal. This can wear quickly if used a lot. I now tend to fill up at a set mileage so I can't remember the last time I used it!
PS baz is selling a very comprehensive petcock seal kit which even includes the diaphragm o ring.
I must say I can't see how the non function of the petcock would cause a wet exhaust. Maybe an oily plug perhaps. My exhaust's are a bit oily too but I'm happy with that. :D
I prefer wet to dry any day!
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE