Turbo leak fix

You can chat about anything you like here
timmo

Turbo leak fix

Post by timmo »

Smax diesel went in for full service and mot. All good but mechanic said there was a weeping oil leak on turbo. Impossible for me to find this weeping,not in oil tray on drive etc. Anyway my question is has anyone tried a leak fix for turbos there are a few on the market ?
timmo

Re: Turbo leak fix

Post by timmo »

The sealants will not work as apparently there are no gaskets on a Turbo because of the heat they would melt, but thanks for looking.
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

I think that engine is the same unit that's in the focus 1.6 ,it's the same as the Peugeot motor,if the seals in the turbo fail completely it will suck oil into the inter cooler and start running on the sump oil even with the engine/key in the off position,the only way to stop it running is to stall it in gear or block the air supply,it's a scary situation when it happens,if not stopped before it drains the sump your motor is finished, good thing is the turbo sits up high on the front of the motor and is easy replaced/repaired,you can get new turbo fan kits cheap on evilbay,I've fitted them before and it's a complete fix,
If the seals really bad and blowing a LOT of black smoke the turbo bearings overheat and fail and the fan explodes getting sucked into the motor,
Attachments
image.png
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I remember the turbo blowing on a 14liter Scania truck i used to drive, the first thing I knew was the lorry slowing down drastically and the motorway behind was obliterated with smoke! Luckily the motor stoped on the key.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
timmo

Post by timmo »

Thanks Marty D. The problem for me is I cannot find the leak, and the car only on 50,000 me the only owner, no smoke, no turbo lag. Just those worrying words from the garage.
martyducati

Post by martyducati »

I wouldn't do anything then! Just keep an eye on your exhaust for excess really heavy smoke on boost and regular checks on your sump oil level,the only way you can lose oil is a visible leak or burnt out the exhaust,if your level stays ok just drive away until you get a problem
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

Yep - agree with Marty . Keep an eye on all levels and smoke from exhaust - if it runs ok, no smoke , does n't overheat then generally its ok !!!