Still here

You can chat about anything you like here
yeadon_m

Still here

Post by yeadon_m »

Hiya chaps,
Just wanted to say a cheery hello so that you don't completely forget me! I can't say why I've not posted for the best part of a year, I just haven't. I'm still as much attached to my bikes as ever, and though I've not ridden much this year, I got out a few times.
We've had a single storey extension built at the back, so I took a pic of the 380 sitting on the slab!
That dratted GT550B continues to haunt me, with the second rebuild motor also failing in April at just over 550 (!) miles, just when I thought I was safe this time. It was running so well and was a lot of fun, but after a 25mile run out I heard a loud rattling from the left pot so nursed it home and threw a cover over it. Uncle Alan popped down a few months later - thanks so much, Alan! - a helped me rebuild the top end one last time, using a set of formerly nikasil pots which has iron liners pressed in. Alan had bought them from a forum member and let me have them at cost. So far, so good, but only a hundred miles in. It is the quietest its ever been. I can assure everyone that we went through the lube system in great detail but could find no fault, and smoke could always be seen from all pipes.
If it dies on me next year, I will sell it at an engine rebuild's cost discount to anyone who feels luckier / smarter than me. Its otherwise immaculate, but thats no good if you don't trust your steed!
Talking of trust in steeds, the old faithful 380B is still wonderful fun, the 750A is a thing of beauty, getting loads of nods, any time I take it out. Both are running very sweetly. And of course the 'modern' bruiser, the GSX1400, is turn key reliable. Alan has one and can testify that they're a good bike for anyone who likes modern retro and isn't interested in a lethally fast fully fared missile!
I briefly grew a beard for the first and last time in my life. Now I'm fully retired, I wanted to see whether I could grow one. Question answered, but no thanks!
I hope to see many of you next year. I've fitted a tow bar and am soon to buy a trailer, so more about that in another post.
All the best and happy Christmas!
Mike
IMG_1772 (Large).JPG
IMG_1630 (Large) Ths.JPG
GSX1400 Oct 9 2018 Leeds Castle.jpg
Losing beard Dec 24 2017 (23) (Large).JPG
canaletto5

Re: Still here

Post by canaletto5 »

Good to hear from you Mike. Wise decision on the beard ! :D
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Happy Christmas Mike, glad to hear your ok. I think the beard suits you btw :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Mike,thanks so much for your post Mate,
Glad to hear your going OK ;)
Good that you are still out & about on the Bikes :idea:
A very Merry Christmas to you & Family.
Christmas Day is going to be hot here,31c :?
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Good to read your post Mike. Interested to hear how you go on with your 550B. Baz has just rebuilt my 550A using Cruzin Image pistons. Just awaiting the carbs back, but will be crossing my fingers that the top end does not rattle.

Never tried a beard myself but I think you look much younger without it :D

Best Wishes for the festive season.

Paul (Harry)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
slosher

Post by slosher »

All the very best to you and your family Mike great to see you posting again :) and i hope you have a bit more luck with the 550B strange one that, at least my left side re-build could be narrowed down to a moments loss of oil but still could not see why :(
Yeh ditch the beard mate ;) ;)

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
johnakay

Post by johnakay »

wondered where you got to.at least your still with us.have a merry xmas but dont drinka to mucha.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership
swarrans

Post by swarrans »

Hi Mike, it would be good to catch up with you as we are both in Kent. You've done the right thing (IMHO) on the beard!

Hope you and the family have a great Christmas. With everyone else's problems I'm getting scared to even ride my bikes (it's the CBX that really frightens me!) So i think I might start thinning the fleet a bit in the new year.

Best wishes

Simon
malky

Post by malky »

Wondered where you have been Mike - glad to know all is well - its funny how some bikes just don't want to go back on the road - had one last year that was nothing but problem after problem - other bikes then are so straight forward and eager to go again - nothing wrong with a beard though once you get past the itchy scratchy bit - keep shiny side up mate
Mal.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Nice to hear from you Mike. Glad the bikes are ok and 'homework' has gone well. I bet builders trucks on your street were 'interesting'!
Best wishes to Joanna of course and seasonal cheer all round.
Who's the old giffer in the pic? They're looking for a Santa in Lidl doncherno! ;)
Proof that four strokes are over complicated