Balancing carbs with airflow meter

You can chat about anything you like here
barney01

Balancing carbs with airflow meter

Post by barney01 »

Great bit of kit which for me finally solves the problem of carb balance on my 550.
I've tried all the normal methods but never known for sure if the three independent carbs were pulling together or against each other. This gadget measures the amount of air being sucked through each carb. A simple process to remove the airbox after the bike has been warmed up to running temperature. First run the bike at idle insert rubber nozzle into back of carb and adjust idle screw so all carbs have the same reading.
Then using cable adjuster on handlebar to rev bike to 3000 so now using cable adjuster on carb lid so all three have same reading.
Today was my first time and it went well . Just checked both engine speeds several times. Brilliant!
Attachments
SK-1 carb synchrometer
SK-1 carb synchrometer
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Wozzap

Re: Balancing carbs with airflow meter

Post by Wozzap »

Jesus, makes me glad I’ve got a 750B with it’s totally trouble free CV carbs 8-)
barney01

Post by barney01 »

NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

Brilliant Barney. I'm going to do mine with a similar flow meter I have, made by Crypton. Used it previously on twin SU carbs on an MG Midget. It has a floating ball which goes up and down depending on the flow. I hate adjusting the knuckle joint on my carbs though in case I split the rubbers when pulling them back. Easier with your early carbs Barney.
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red