GT380 BATTERY

You can chat about anything you like here
wardy

GT380 BATTERY

Post by wardy »

Hi All; just getting my gt380 ready for the road again.. 1st time since 2013!
I need a battery, but it seems that I cannot buy one anymore and put my own acid in!.. been doing it for 45 years now, but hey ho!
my question is this;
It looks like i'll have to get a Gel battery or a "motobatt"
As I've never had one of these before; can you charge them using a normal battery charger or will I need to buy another charger... or do they need charging at all even?
I'd prefer to lift the seat and see a black std battery for originality, not a yellow one!
cheers everyone. Andy
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
mizzytheman

Re: GT380 BATTERY

Post by mizzytheman »

You could do away with the battery altogether and use the space to store your butties. :lol:

http://bat-pac.com/compatibility/index.htm
Optedout

Post by Optedout »

Hardwarexpress Coventry. Full range of yuasa batteries. Just google them.
2strokejohnny

Post by 2strokejohnny »

I use this now and again on my 380 if i haven't started it for a couple of weeks
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTOBATT-BAB ... ect=mobile
Suzuki GT750B
Suzuki GT750K
Triumph T100 Unit Bonny
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

wardy wrote:Hi All; just getting my gt380 ready for the road again.. 1st time since 2013!
I need a battery, but it seems that I cannot buy one anymore and put my own acid in!.. been doing it for 45 years now, but hey ho!
my question is this;
It looks like i'll have to get a Gel battery or a "motobatt"
As I've never had one of these before; can you charge them using a normal battery charger or will I need to buy another charger... or do they need charging at all even?
I'd prefer to lift the seat and see a black std battery for originality, not a yellow one!
cheers everyone. Andy
I've got a full charge of Yuasa acid if you want it. Kev
wardy

Post by wardy »

Thanks everyone.. food forthought.. never heard of the bat pac.
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
lairdofsmoke

Post by lairdofsmoke »

I'm not 100% sure but from what I've been informed, is you can still get battery acid as long as it comes sealed in the same box as the battery by the battery manufacturers.
The law refers to acid sold separately, is the battery in one box and the acid in another, that definitely is a no, no.
On fragrant cloud
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Hi Andy, I've got a "yellow brick" Motobatt on FAB and it's been brilliant, cost around £55 three years back, never could get a standard Yuasa to last long, even when kept on an Optimate. I also bought a motobatt "Baby boy" trickle charger at the same time for £19 and I'm sure that helps to keep the yellow brick in perfect condition.
I've also got an Enduroline sealed gel battery (black) on the GSX1100, cost about £56 and again connected to a Baby boy trickle charger, that's also been on for about three years since the last Yuasa failed and again it hasn't missed a beat. All four items were bought off ebay where I found the prices to be unbeatable. HTH.
Cheers, Steve.
P.S. A motobatt battery or equivalent gel battery is sealed and doesn't need filling and when delivered doesn't need charging and is ready to fit and go.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Jacobscreek

Post by Jacobscreek »

When I purchased a bike battery a few weeks ago the guy in the shop said they have to fill up the batteries before sale now due to the rise in acid attacks on people. It's a directive from the police I believe. No change in what batteries are allowed to be sold or used.
redliner

Post by redliner »

This new regulation will be a proverbial PITA for those of you/us trying to buy the traditional wet-cell type batteries such as those originally fitted to, say, 70s Japanese bikes. And don't expect companies like Halfords to help with filling up your new (supplied dry) Yuasa battery with acid - they won't. Tried it just last week. Read this for a bit of info.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/2018/08/importa ... n-be-sold/
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5