Call me paranoid

You can chat about anything you like here
teebowbusablaster

Call me paranoid

Post by teebowbusablaster »

But having had the engine rebuilt, I am watching it like hawk, not leas the temperature gauge.
It warms up nicely in the 1st couple of miles then settles half a needle's width above the centre line, not anywhere near HOT, but a fraction (a couple of degrees, ho ho) above dead centre.
I notice going up hills, we live in a hilly part of Yorkshire can make it move ever so slightly to the right but never enough to be a worry, and going back down hill, or even flat moves it back to JUST right of centre.

Alan H mentioned two dots on the speedo face, I haven't got those, and coolant isn't being lost now its settled down to a level near the bottom of the filler tube.

Am I driving myself daft for no reason or am I right to be worried ? :?
Roger Ackery

Re: Call me paranoid

Post by Roger Ackery »

:lol: :lol: :lol: All good with your gauge, mine does this,& I'm in Australia :roll:
A lot hotter all year than the UK 8-)
All good, stay calm :idea:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
teebowbusablaster

Yes it's barely 8 degrees here when I went into town to get my hair cut.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

One question ? :idea:
How much coolant do you have in the overflow bottle ;) ;)
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
teebowbusablaster

Without taking the tank off, I can't see, BUT the coolant is about 2/3rds up the neck of the filler tube, SO as a liquid will always find it's own level, I can only assume that its somewhere near right.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Sounds right to me Terry, mine hovers around the centre line depending on whether the thermostat is open or closed.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
slosher

Post by slosher »

teebowbusablaster wrote:Without taking the tank off, I can't see, BUT the coolant is about 2/3rds up the neck of the filler tube, SO as a liquid will always find it's own level, I can only assume that its somewhere near right.
That's interesting not to worry you any more Terry but my gauge always shows just a tadge under half mark and if you look down inside the filler tube at the bottom there's a small pointer, if i fill mine above this it spits it back out of the overflow tube :?:

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)
teebowbusablaster

Bearing in mind the meter is a volt meter, the charging voltage, the linearity of the temp sensor, and any resistance in the wiring will all have an effect.
Chris57

Post by Chris57 »

teebowbusablaster wrote:Bearing in mind the meter is a volt meter, the charging voltage, the linearity of the temp sensor, and any resistance in the wiring will all have an effect.
I reckon you've answered your own question there Sir :lol: :lol: :lol: