Information on registering imported frame

You can chat about anything you like here
ogri211

Information on registering imported frame

Post by ogri211 »

Im looking for some info from here even though it is not about My GT750, but I know a lot of people on here have had dealings with registering imports. I have just Picked up a Z1300 project bike from one of my pals to do up next winter, the issue I have is that the bike is Q plated, which I dont want to use, but he has also supplied me with a rolling chassis for a Z1300 Voyager which was imported from Canada I have the original owners certificate and the receipt from HRMC showing that the duty and VAT have been paid. I have read that you have to register it on the NOVA system and when you build it you have to get it MOTed and insured on the frame number before registering it. The main issue I have is when I build it it will have the engine out of the UK Q plated bike, but the engine is completely standard and of almost the same spec as the original engine, will I have a problem registering it on an age related plate as I dont want to spend the time and money getting the frame powder coated and rebuilding the bike for them to say it is not standard and me having to register as a Q. It would be good to know if anyone has imported a bike without an engine and fitted a different engine before registering it.
Suzuki Gt750A
Kawasaki Z900 A4
Kawasaki Z1300
Buell S1 Lightning
Royal Enfield Diesel.
Alan H

Re: Information on registering imported frame

Post by Alan H »

Speak to HMRC - the tax man. If you have the correct certs, you'l be ok. I had to do it when I did the first 550 resto. I bought it before NOVA existed, but when the time came to register it, NOVA was there. They were very helpful. Scan the paperwork and when you are talking to them, you can email them the files. They put my bike on the NOVA system while we were talking on the phone.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

ogri211 wrote:Im looking for some info from here even though it is not about My GT750, but I know a lot of people on here have had dealings with registering imports. I have just Picked up a Z1300 project bike from one of my pals to do up next winter, the issue I have is that the bike is Q plated, which I dont want to use, but he has also supplied me with a rolling chassis for a Z1300 Voyager which was imported from Canada I have the original owners certificate and the receipt from HRMC showing that the duty and VAT have been paid. I have read that you have to register it on the NOVA system and when you build it you have to get it MOTed and insured on the frame number before registering it. The main issue I have is when I build it it will have the engine out of the UK Q plated bike, but the engine is completely standard and of almost the same spec as the original engine, will I have a problem registering it on an age related plate as I dont want to spend the time and money getting the frame powder coated and rebuilding the bike for them to say it is not standard and me having to register as a Q. It would be good to know if anyone has imported a bike without an engine and fitted a different engine before registering it.
If the new engine is of the same year as the missing one I suggest that you get a dating certificate from an owners club to confirm that the frame/engine combo is kosher for the year and, when you go to register the bike, do not send the original title. You are not obliged to as part of the dating evidence. The NOVA number and dating certificate should be enough. Hundreds of bikes are imported from the USA without title. Kev
ogri211

Post by ogri211 »

Thanks for that the only thing is I don't think the engine is the same year but it is exactly the same spec.
Suzuki Gt750A
Kawasaki Z900 A4
Kawasaki Z1300
Buell S1 Lightning
Royal Enfield Diesel.