DOWTY SEAL WASHER SIZE?

You can chat about anything you like here
teazer

Re: DOWTY SEAL WASHER SIZE?

Post by teazer »

BATTS

Post by BATTS »

I put Marks stainless bolts on mine, they came with lovely stainless washers, plain steel ones would spoil the look. I did ask Mark about the dowty type washers and he advised unless going out frequently in monsoon rain they weren't necessary as has been said, they keep water out not water in. I didn't use O rings as you would need to recalculate the head torque settings to compensate which just got too complicated.
Chris
76 GT750, 78 GT550, BMW K1600gtl
wardy

Post by wardy »

Thanks Chris.. they do look good don't they!
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

BATTS wrote: I didn't use O rings as you would need to recalculate the head torque settings to compensate which just got too complicated.
Hi Chris, whilst I was still working (retired now :D ) I made numerous sets of stainless head bolts, complete with the plain and spring washers and after careful measurements, I calculated that an O ring of 1.5mm thickness and fitted onto the shank of the 14mm headbolt below the plain washer, squeezed perfectly into the gap between the bolt and the bolt hole. This prevented any water getting past and didn't effect the bolt tightening down properly, or the torque setting. HTH.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
wardy

Post by wardy »

Steve. I have a Myford 7 at home if you fancy knocking me up a set!... beyond my lathes skills I'm afraid!
To be honest, I'm only thinking of changing these bolts for the appearance. The head has not been off since I got the bike on the road in 2006, some 25000 miles ago and has not been any trouble since then.
Am I opening a can of worms disturbing it perhaps?
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Andy, since retiring 6 years ago from my job of 46 years as a centre lathe turner, I now consider myself completely cured. But I still have the occasional nightmare and probably will tonight after your suggestion.
Buy a set off Mark complete with washers, take my word for it, for the amount of work that goes into making them they're an absolute bargain and they'll look great on your kettle.
Regards, Steve.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

There’s someone on eBay selling sets for a tenner.
Item number 323812452088.
willowden

Post by willowden »

Apparently he is a genuine decent guy who would never deceive or try & profit on the back of somebody’s initiative.
I think he’s great !!