Q plate to age related plate

You can chat about anything you like here
ogri211

Q plate to age related plate

Post by ogri211 »

Has anyone successfully got a Q plate on a bike changed to an age related plate. The reason I ask is I have just bought a kawasaki from a mate that is Q plated, it has not been on the road since 1996, I am going to apply for a v5 using the frame number as I have told Swansea that I bought the bike without any paperwork, the guidelines say that a Q plate is issued to a vehicle that you cant determine the age, I know that the bike is a 1980 by the frame number and I believe it was Q plated in 1985 because the engine was damaged beyond repair much the same as a newer bike now would be classed as a cat C or D but now still retains its original reg. I am hoping that they cant find any trace of the plate and tell me to re- register the bike when I get it mot'ed I would be grateful to hear if anyone has had any success with this.
Suzuki Gt750A
Kawasaki Z900 A4
Kawasaki Z1300
Buell S1 Lightning
Royal Enfield Diesel.
Optedout

Re: Q plate to age related plate

Post by Optedout »

No experience but I would be surprised if you were able to “rewrite history”
A practical solution (and what I would do) is buy a cheap plate from that year
or the year before. There are plenty out there on websites.
ogri211

Post by ogri211 »

Thanks but you are not allowed to transfer a private plate to a Q plated vehicle.
Suzuki Gt750A
Kawasaki Z900 A4
Kawasaki Z1300
Buell S1 Lightning
Royal Enfield Diesel.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Not sure if this is still 100% accurate, but a friend of mine who registered a trike that he'd built from scratch, told me that the rules are quite strict regarding "Q" plates.
He said he'd jumped through hoops trying to get an age related plate, but when the dvla decide that a "Q" plate is necessary, they won't change their minds.
I hope the rules have been relaxed and you get the decision reversed and maybe you can, because when governments change sometimes the rules change too, for instance the "historic vehicle" tax class criteria, which has changed three times over the last 20 odd years. Good luck.
P.S. Another thing to consider and Alan H will agree with this, it also depends on who you speak to at the dvla, because each person there seems to have a different interpretation of the rules. :roll:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

ogri211 wrote:Has anyone successfully got a Q plate on a bike changed to an age related plate. The reason I ask is I have just bought a kawasaki from a mate that is Q plated, it has not been on the road since 1996, I am going to apply for a v5 using the frame number as I have told Swansea that I bought the bike without any paperwork, the guidelines say that a Q plate is issued to a vehicle that you cant determine the age, I know that the bike is a 1980 by the frame number and I believe it was Q plated in 1985 because the engine was damaged beyond repair much the same as a newer bike now would be classed as a cat C or D but now still retains its original reg. I am hoping that they cant find any trace of the plate and tell me to re- register the bike when I get it mot'ed I would be grateful to hear if anyone has had any success with this.
Get a dating certificate from someone like the VJMC. Send this with your registration request. The worst they can do is reject it
mick 63

Post by mick 63 »

Hi Ogri , i'm not being funny when i ask but whats wrong with having a Q plate ?, cheers Mick ;)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

It has to be tested 'for ever', can cost more to insure, and will always be 'abnormal'. Some companies won't insure Q plated vehicles.

DVLA told me 'no chance', then someone else there suggested to get a dating cert and proof of purchase, and there wouldn't be an issue - trouble is then it might be traced back to that owner and a Q plate.
Talk to DVLA and record/write down what they say then ring again until you get the answers you need and get a name!
Best suggestion is to get a mate to give you a receipt for the bike, get a dating cert for it and have as many standard bits as possible when you build it . Hopefully, when you send in the bumf you will be lucky. Remember that you'll need pictures for the DC as well as registration, so it has to be built to get either.
Start practicing different religions and finger/toe crossing - it may (or may not) help.
Oh, and be careful how much truth you actually tell. Make your story VERY believable.
Frames with v5 and or NOVA paperwork are available on ebay and other places too.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
raysunners

Post by raysunners »

mick 63 wrote:Hi Ogri , i'm not being funny when i ask but whats wrong with having a Q plate ?, cheers Mick ;)
Mick, not sure it would qualify as historic on a Q plate and may effect the value?
ogri211

Post by ogri211 »

Im not going to chance building it before I try and get rid of the Q plate I have another frame that I am trying to get a NOVA number for as it was imported from Canada in 2000 Ive heard that Q plates will qualify for historic after 2023 if they were registered in 83 but who wants a classic with a Q
Suzuki Gt750A
Kawasaki Z900 A4
Kawasaki Z1300
Buell S1 Lightning
Royal Enfield Diesel.