If you’ve modified your exhaust. LOOK OUT.

You can chat about anything you like here
mizzytheman

If you’ve modified your exhaust. LOOK OUT.

Post by mizzytheman »

Is this the end for expansion chambers?

'Acoustic cameras' tested in bid to cut noisy vehicles https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48564995
Alan H

Re: If you’ve modified your exhaust. LOOK OUT.

Post by Alan H »

Some interesting facts 'lifted'from elsewhere.

1934. Speed limits introduced.
1935. Cats eyes introduced.
1947. First Honda Produced.
1949. First Kawasaki Produced.
1950. First Ducati's produced.
1952. First Suzuki produced
1954. First Yamaha produced.
1968. First Aprilia produced.
1970. 86 decibel noise limit introduced for motorcycles larger than 125cc (not implemented until 1982)
1971. Motorcycles first used after 1/1/71 required to be equipped with dipped beam headlight
1971. All motorcycle riders required to have passenger insurance
1973. Wearing of crash helmets made compulsory for all motorcycle riders
1975. Requirement for motorcycles to carry a front number plate abolished.
1980. Right hand sidecars banned on motorcycles registered after 1/8/81
1982. EEC 86 decibel noise limit implemented.
1986. Motorcycles first used after 1/4/86 required to have direction indicators.
1987. EC 87/56 stage one (82 decibel) noise limit becomes Euro law. Stage 2 (80 decibels) planned for 1993.
1987. Motorcycles first used after 1/4/87 to have brake system approved by UN/ECE regulation 13.05
1987. BSI stamped aftermarket exhausts made compulsory.
1991. EC proposes 100 bhp maximum power output from motorcycles.
1993. EU proposes 'Multi Directive'. Contains 80 decibel upper noise limit, anti tampering and emission limits.
1994. 100th Gatso Camera installed.
1995. UK implements stage one of EU directive 87/56 and reduces maximum noise limit to 82 decibels
1997. EU Multi Directive becomes European law. Maximum noise limit set at 80 decibels. Europe wide implementation July 1999.
2001. Motorcycles registered after 1.9.2001 are not allowed to have a front number plate
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

But there's also this - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1987/34

Basically we should be ok with 'classic' bikes so long as they aren't too loud. The MOT test is subjective in that it is the testers' discretion whether your bike is too noisy.
And yes, I know we don't need one on our pre 1979 bikes.
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Some really great information there Alan. Tell me, what was is like riding around Yorkshire and not have to worry about speed limits? :P
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Oh there's always been speed limits, I got banned twice in the 60s & 70s due to 'totting up' points for speeding. Best was 108 on the M18 on my first GT550 which Eddie Crooks tweaked.
I've been good since (read 'not done'!) on a bike, and only once in a car...... :roll:
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Just watched this story on BBC "Breakfast" news and was surprised/not surprised :roll: to see in the footage, that the only vehicles on UK roads making excessive exhaust noise are motorbikes??? Why is it that bikes/bikers are always the evil villains? And why on a report about noisy vehicles did they have to show a biker doing a wheelie? another nail in the coffin for bikers?
What about all the boy car racers who tear about urban streets with modified exhausts popping and banging like Rambo going into battle? We've a young lad down our street with a pimped ford focus, that not only has the obligatory loud exhaust, but also has something fitted to the gearchange that loudly shouts "ouch" each time he changes gear, funny the first time but not after a year.
And what about all the 40 ton+ lorries (much louder than bikes) thundering round our towns and villages, no mention of them eh.
I know some bikers modify their exhausts by removing baffles and put them back in for the MOT, the same as some car drivers do, but my exhaust is loud even though it's legal and it passes the MOT test with no problem, so perhaps that'll be my get out of jail card if I ever get a letter from the powers that be.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

stevewharton wrote:Just watched this story on BBC "Breakfast" news and was surprised/not surprised :roll: to see in the footage, that the only vehicles on UK roads making excessive exhaust noise are motorbikes??? Why is it that bikes/bikers are always the evil villains? And why on a report about noisy vehicles did they have to show a biker doing a wheelie? another nail in the coffin for bikers?
What about all the boy car racers who tear about urban streets with modified exhausts popping and banging like Rambo going into battle? We've a young lad down our street with a pimped ford focus, that not only has the obligatory loud exhaust, but also has something fitted to the gearchange that loudly shouts "ouch" each time he changes gear, funny the first time but not after a year.
And what about all the 40 ton+ lorries (much louder than bikes) thundering round our towns and villages, no mention of them eh.
I know some bikers modify their exhausts by removing baffles and put them back in for the MOT, the same as some car drivers do, but my exhaust is loud even though it's legal and it passes the MOT test with no problem, so perhaps that'll be my get out of jail card if I ever get a letter from the powers that be.
And the ignorant twa* who roars up and down our road in a souped up Impreza. The sad b*stard is in his late fifties ffs :roll:
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

canaletto5 wrote:
stevewharton wrote:Just watched this story on BBC "Breakfast" news and was surprised/not surprised :roll: to see in the footage, that the only vehicles on UK roads making excessive exhaust noise are motorbikes??? Why is it that bikes/bikers are always the evil villains? And why on a report about noisy vehicles did they have to show a biker doing a wheelie? another nail in the coffin for bikers?
And the ignorant twa* who roars up and down our road in a souped up Impreza. The sad b*stard is in his late fifties ffs :roll:
And while I'm still seething, :x. I consider my legal loud exhaust the last line of defence against the "sorry I didn't see you mate" brigade, and the number of times I've blipped my throttle and got someones attention proves that loud "ish" exhausts help to protect us.
Rant over!!!
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Didn't you break your hippo the last time you blipped it, Steve? :?
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

stevewharton wrote:We've a young lad down our street with a pimped ford focus, that not only has the obligatory loud exhaust, but also has something fitted to the gearchange that loudly shouts "ouch" each time he changes gear

Ok first of all the “bikers” (I hate that term) making all the racket are mostly born again riders who are re-living their youth riding sports bikes with offensively loud zorsts fitted pretending they are lapping the Isle of Man at 130mph :x none of these bikes would pass the ACU noise test.

Second the ouch noise isn’t attached to the gearchange it’s a turbo wastegate.

And thirdly 44t lorries are quieter than most family saloon cars and I know as I’ve been driving them for 40 odd years! Modern lorries are very quiet machines.
Just saying like :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!