MOT exemption.

You can chat about anything you like here
stevewharton

MOT exemption.

Post by stevewharton »

I had an interesting conversation with the tester after having an MOT on my GSX1100G a couple of weeks ago.
We were talking about my kettle, which he'd tested for me regularly until the exemption law came into force and I asked his opinion on the new law and with him being a very experienced, long time bike mechanic and tester, his opinion is one that I took seriously.
He said that in most cases where the owner knows his classic bike well and is keen to keep it in fine fettle himself, the tester is just casting an eye over a bike that he knows is going to pass. However, not all owners fall into this category with some not having a good mechanical engineering background, others being over confident about their abilities and some just taking advantage of saving a few quid.
His advice was to have your classic bike tested every other year, if only for the peace of mind that someone with more experience has agreed with your own checks.
Another point he raised was that insurance companies are becoming ever more vigilant when a claim is made, especially when an MOT has been missed due to the new exemption law and have been frequently checking a bikes condition after an accident and rejecting claims when finding the slightest flaw on the bike.
So with that in mind I'll be taking his advice and getting an MOT cert' every other year, after all what's £28 for some peace of mind on the road and knowing the insurance companies aren't going to find an opt out clause.
Any thoughts?
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Rhencullen

Re: MOT exemption.

Post by Rhencullen »

I like an MOT certificate if only to provide some history and record the mileage. This shows the bike has been used instead of just festering in a shed.
1977 Suzuki GT750B - 2003 Honda CB1300 - 1979 Honda CBX1000
Harrymail

Post by Harrymail »

I will be taking my 550 for an MOT Steve, when its running :roll: My MOT tester does an MOT for £20 on classic bikes. Mates rates of course ;)
Currently without a GT, but looking
2003 Yamaha Fazer 600 Blue
2020 Triumph Street Twin Red
1968 BSA Bantam Sports Red
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Personally I know every inch of my bike having repaired it myself for the last 25 years. Although not a qualified mechanic I know when something is not right and it's repaired immediately ( I don't say I must do that before the MOT is due) However I think if you are not confident and you want a second opinion it's a very good idea. If I was ever to sell its a given that I would have one done.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Good point Barney,

And if you’re selling a bike it should be mandatory to have an MOT before you sell it on.
Optedout

Post by Optedout »

You all make very good points which anyone with a regard for self preservation would
follow. The most worrying thing about the new exemption is that you can also register
an import without an initial test if it is old enough.
That is one area which will probably, and correctly in my opinion be revised.
Haggler

Post by Haggler »

Can't see them doing anything soon. A mate of mine bought a 1957 Austin Healey from the states. It needed a fair bit of chassis repair but it was granted historic status with out as much as a question. For me every vehicle on the road should have to have an mot. As a test how many have repacked their head races or even checked adjustment in the last year. What about your brake hoses? These are supposed to be changed every 4 or 5 years but have you checked them or changed the fluid. I bet not because you will say it doesn't do much mileage. Lightly used machines tend to need more maintenance than high mileage machines. I am a qualified mechanic and think it is important to get a professional test done.
At the end of the day what value do you put on safety, and I don't mean yours I mean the innocent bystanders that get hurt.
Sorry I feel strongly that the saving of a few quid is seen as more important than safety
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

Haggler wrote:Can't see them doing anything soon. A mate of mine bought a 1957 Austin Healey from the states. It needed a fair bit of chassis repair but it was granted historic status with out as much as a question. For me every vehicle on the road should have to have an mot. As a test how many have repacked their head races or even checked adjustment in the last year. What about your brake hoses? These are supposed to be changed every 4 or 5 years but have you checked them or changed the fluid. I bet not because you will say it doesn't do much mileage. Lightly used machines tend to need more maintenance than high mileage machines. I am a qualified mechanic and think it is important to get a professional test done.
At the end of the day what value do you put on safety, and I don't mean yours I mean the innocent bystanders that get hurt.
Sorry I feel strongly that the saving of a few quid is seen as more important than safety

Totally agree,Even if it was every three years.
senicoli

Post by senicoli »

an mot test is only valid at the time of testing a fault could develop the day after so testing every two years or even three is meaningless if a fault does occur on your bike and your not aware of it for two or even three years you shouldnt own a bike never mind be riding one just saying like colin
Haggler

Post by Haggler »

And there are quite a few that shouldn't be riding following that rule.