Suzuki gt550

You can chat about anything you like here
Frankibaby7

Suzuki gt550

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:tw hi guys heres a stupid question, about my gt550.
,Years ago in my bsa bantam ,I had to premix 2 stoke oil with petrol, I think 20 to 1 ,I then shake the bike to mix, in my gt550, I put petrol in the tank ,and we have a oil tank which is pumped to the bottom of the crankcase with the sirs injection valves, when I start my engine ,there is no immediate mix ,petrol is forced into the engine with no mix until it obviously gets into the crankcase, how is this a more effective way than premix in the tank ,because for the instant the fuel is atomised into the engine,there is no immediate oil protection, just a thought for you 2 stroke buffs cheers frank . :D :mrgreen: :roll:
Frankibaby :lol:
Roger Ackery

Re: Suzuki gt550

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi, two stroke oil is always present in some form,on the pistons,crankshaft,bearings.
As it doesn't evaporate or merely dissappear :idea: even if the motor has been apart you wouldn't put it together "Dry" then attempt to start it :twisted: :!: Prime the pump,& make sure oil is reaching the crankcase, common sense really. It's heat expansion that you have to worry about, but by the time that happens the motor will already have ample two stroke oil to run on.
Trust the pump don't use premix as well ;)
The only role that the SRIS plays is to take any excess two stroke oil mix from one cylinder to another to be burnt more evenly between the 3 cylinders & supposedly help with less smokey exhaust, a lot of guys on "here" & else where have blocked them off entirely on all the triples & the bikes run happily enough without SRIS being in place ;)
Last edited by Roger Ackery on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:tw thanks roger ,that sounds very veasable, but I heard that even with oil injection feeds ,some guys still premix a low oil to petrol count in the fear of oil pump failure, but this of course would only produce more smoke at the rear and ,lower ignition power ,but a preventertive measure of cource ,but interesting, sris injection has to be better for the crank and its bearings and seals .
Many thanks . :roll: :D :D :lol:
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

:tw running premix as well increases the risk of running lean, something to be avoided :idea: :( :oops:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

Yes very interesting roger I allways wonders how the sriss injection worked ,obviously suzuki enginered it to be more effective than premix,I've had 4 gt550 now ,and I think only once I changed those robust oil pumps, the system seems quite flawless, so yes I wouldnt use a premix as well as sriss feed ,I did have a gt750 which I like I think it was an A .cheers roger :D :twisted: :oops:
IMG_1674.JPG
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi, here's my GT750A Model in Maui Blue
Attachments
image.jpg
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D ah roger that's nice ,very nice ,Irish I had one but they are just to big for me to move around in my garden, the 550 is not to bad ,I'm renovating mine as we speak ,taking forever parts very dear now ,baz has my carburetors, soon be back hopefully. Cheers roger
20200315_130415.jpg
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

This maybe of interest on GT750 SRIS & how it works...I'm sure this has been posted before :idea: ;)
image.jpg
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Frankibaby7

Post by Frankibaby7 »

:D thanks roger very interesting, when you see it like that ,you can see the brilliant way the Suzuki engineers worked how how much more effective the sriss injection would be ,for the two stroke design, very cleaver roger ,thanks for that ,very much appreciated, have a great day and of course, stay safe :shock: :geek: :D
Cheers
Frank .
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just repiping the SRIS on the A and J models I'm rebuilding.
Of course the pipes are 'tired' and not very bendy, so I've ordered some clear pipe to redo the systems. Soft black 2.5mm inside diameter pipe seems a bit thin on the ground, but ne'mind. It'll be summat for the saddos anoraks to chunter about again.
Just for info, the grommets behind the left barrel that the pipes go through are labelled top and bottom as to where the pipes go.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated