CHEAP BRAKE PADS!

You can chat about anything you like here
wardy

CHEAP BRAKE PADS!

Post by wardy »

hi everyone... not Suzuki related I know but;
As I'm currently off work in this current situation (practising for retirement, some say.) I thought I'd do a mini restoration on my daily ride . a 1981 Kawasaki z400j (four cylinder).This bike has twin front discs as standard.
It was looking a bit cosmetically challenged and the front brakes were crap as the l/h calliper was not working and I'd broken off the bleed screw in it as well.
i'd rebuilt the r/h one a couple of months ago , with new pistons and seals from Z power and now it was the l/h one's turn .
I managed to get the piston out OK and then carried out a rebuild / repaint of it. I used one of those bleed banjo bolts in leiu of the knackered bleed nipple and I have to say that it works a treat. Very easy to bleed and thoroughly recommended.
The pint of all this pre-amble?............. I thought i'd treat it to a new set of brake pads as I had done the same on the other calliper.
Now, being a miser, I thought nothing of buying the cheapest set of padsI could find from a dealer in Doncaster on Ebay.
They looked fine in the pictures and they arrived today.
However, when I opened them I was dissapointed to find that the amount of friction material on them was only about 2mm's worth, no better than the ones I was taking out.Theoldones have stayed on the bike and these new ones are now in a drawer in the workshop!
I'm sure that when I bought two sets of Vesrah pads for the Kettle there was about twice the amount of "meat" on them than these I've just got.
I'm putting it down to experience as they WERE cheap, but it's warning to all... things are cheap for a reason!
All the best, and sorry about this years rally cancellation.
Andy
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
Alan H

Re: CHEAP BRAKE PADS!

Post by Alan H »

wardy wrote:Now, being a miser, I thought nothing of buying the cheapest set of padsI could find from a dealer in Doncaster on Ebay.
Andy
And Steve Wharton accuses us Yorkies of being economical.
It all comes out now, yer tight Lincolnshire git!!! :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

To be fair Wardy doesn't live too far from the Yorkshire border, so the tight-arsedness has probably crept over and yorkiefied him. :roll:
Plus in a "normal" summer season, Cleethopes is swarming with tight fisted Yorkie gits, all looking for a cheap holiday and cheap beer, so I go abroad to get away from them, usually somewhere that speaks proper english, so I can understand what they're saying. ;)
However, and I don't often tell this, but my grandfather was a yorkie from Hull :o so with it being in my blood, I constantly have to stop myself from being mean. :lol:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

stevewharton wrote:so with it being in my blood, I constantly have to stop myself from being mean. :lol:
Hmmm....... :roll:
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Alan H wrote:
stevewharton wrote:so with it being in my blood, I constantly have to stop myself from being mean. :lol:
Hmmm....... :roll:
Hmmm what :?:
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Not mean & lean, obviously....... :roll:
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Try as I may to get into your yorkie head and understand what the hell you're on about, 99.9% of the time I fail, but maybe that's not a bad thing, cos who'd want a head that works like yours :?: :roll: ;)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Me. And that keeps everyone else guessing. :ugeek:
wardy

Post by wardy »

stevewharton wrote:To be fair Wardy doesn't live too far from the Yorkshire border, so the tight-arsedness has probably crept over and yorkiefied him. :roll:
Plus in a "normal" summer season, Cleethopes is swarming with tight fisted Yorkie gits, all looking for a cheap holiday and cheap beer, so I go abroad to get away from them, usually somewhere that speaks proper english, so I can understand what they're saying. ;)
However, and I don't often tell this, but my grandfather was a yorkie from Hull :o so with it being in my blood, I constantly have to stop myself from being mean. :lol:
Yup; that's right. I live about 8 miles from the Yorkie border on the a18, however I've lived in Lincs all my 62 years. I've always been tight , but I can take the abuse!!!!!!!!
Andy;
1976 gt750A; 86 FZ750
1977gt380A
1982 z400j
1981 z650f.....1988 Sufolk punch 14"
"look;it's my bike; when you own it ,you can paint it any colour you like!"
(I once painted my Z650 PINK and had the pink panther logo on the tailpiece)
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

stevewharton wrote:Cleethopes
Hmm, where's that then? Somewhere between somehopes and nohopes near the dogger bank border, I suspect.