Gauge restoration

You can chat about anything you like here
rodent

Re: Gauge restoration

Post by rodent »

Roger Ackery wrote:Steve, Missy you were only trying to help :tw
( Clocks ) ;) as always.
We had a Super Moon here recently..(Australia).maybe the "Post"? is the lingering effects from that, or Covid - 19 :idea: :lol:

Regards,

Roger
:roll:
apwrigs

Post by apwrigs »

Chaps, just seen this thread.....
I'm also having a crack at doing some clocks . The only thing I can't find is a crimping tool for the rings. There doesn't appear to be one specific for the job, maybe folks simply make there own and improvise .
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I'm sure I've seen a post showing a wooden jig with holes cut out to hold the clock body while you tap down the lip of the sealing ring. Who was it?
rodent

Post by rodent »

canaletto5 wrote:I'm sure I've seen a post showing a wooden jig with holes cut out to hold the clock body while you tap down the lip of the sealing ring. Who was it?
I saw one video on YT showing just that. I'm considering making a pair out of 18mm compact laminate and squeezing the lip down in a press.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I think that's the way to go, the most difficult part is uncrimping and recrimping the sealing ring but if you can buy replacements then it should be do-able
rodent

Post by rodent »

canaletto5 wrote:I think that's the way to go, the most difficult part is uncrimping and recrimping the sealing ring but if you can buy replacements then it should be do-able
I cut a couple of pieces of compact laminate today, both fit quite snug and a 1-2 thicknesses of electrical tape or duct tape should protect the duco.
On the piece that goes over the glass side, I'll put a small radius on it so hopefully it will give the stainless a start and then I can turn it over to finish and flatten. I'll probably pinch the stainless down a whisker in 3-4 places to centre it on the gauge. Just need to make a fixture to go in the press.

canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Looking good. I'm particularly interested in how you evenly close the crimp down as my cut and bleeding fingers tell me there must be a better way :lol:
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

Rodent..just seen your post on clocks.. I know a little bit about this.. when you get the rev counter ring off, you can open up the clock.

You can clean the face, and inside the glass, with soapy water and finish off with vinegar on a clean cloth.. bodies can be rubbed down, and repainted in satin black..

The faces are normally good and usable.. ( depending from where the bike came from.. You can also paint the tips of the needles in fluorescent orange..
A set of K clocks I restored earlier this year.. kb..
Attachments
Screenshot_20200601-235058_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200601-235048_Gallery.jpg
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

rodent

Post by rodent »

KETTLE BOY wrote:Rodent..just seen your post on clocks.. I know a little bit about this.. when you get the rev counter ring off, you can open up the clock.

You can clean the face, and inside the glass, with soapy water and finish off with vinegar on a clean cloth.. bodies can be rubbed down, and repainted in satin black..

The faces are normally good and usable.. ( depending from where the bike came from.. You can also paint the tips of the needles in fluorescent orange..
A set of K clocks I restored earlier this year.. kb..

^^^^^Nice, thanks for the tips KB :D
rodent

Post by rodent »

I'm not using the gauge below, but I am pillaging the trip grommet as I haven't found repro ones(or looked that hard). Does anyone have a link to one?

Thought I'd have a go at repairing the tin anyhow, a bit of filler and we're in business :) Just waiting on new faces to make an appearance and I'll attempt my own gauges.