Gauge restoration

You can chat about anything you like here
rodent

Gauge restoration

Post by rodent »

I'm seriously thinking of taking a crack at restoring the gauges for my K, I have found a few places online that sell some/most of the gear to accomplish this.

Any tips on what to buy from whom, or the best place to deal with would be appreciated :) Surely some of you guys have done your own?
rodent

Re: Gauge restoration

Post by rodent »

Obviously I'm a pioneer, hopefully I can pave a path for those looking to do this same thing in the future 8-)
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Hi Rodent,

As far as you being a pioneer, I’m going to have to urinate on your BBQ :D . I’ve used this company for the parts needed to restore my Goldwing gauges. Good quality and they even supply the crimp rings if needed.

https://www.cb750faces.com/en/46-suzuki-parts
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Perhaps the reason for the silence, is that I believe there are a couple of guys on here who professionally restore these gauges for a living??? :? but I would've thought that a little advice should be forthcoming.
If you decide to go it alone, I wouldn't know where to start looking for spare parts, but it sounds like you're on top of that already.
Sorry I've not been much help, but at least you've now had a reply of sorts.
When the gauges on my "A" model went kaput at 106,000 miles, about 25 years ago, I found a set of nearly new gauges complete with new mounting bracket, on a stand at the Stafford show for £60 :shock: Now up to 157,000 and still going strong. :P
I've not been much help there either eh?
Last edited by stevewharton on Tue May 26, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

I restored my T500 gauges myself. I bought new cases and replica stick on faces. It wasn’t particularly difficult as they are very simple things but they are quite fiddly. Just take your time and you’ll be fine.
Attachments
705BCBF0-5763-419A-8AED-AE338A78D990.jpeg
71FC861D-DA02-41AC-B4F6-88551867F945.jpeg
3C4ED0FF-576B-47AA-B276-D2CA4E1C5048.jpeg
765664BA-20A9-44F4-B0B8-9F9EC10BD8B4.jpeg
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
rodent

Post by rodent »

stevewharton wrote:Perhaps the reason for the silence, is that I believe there are a couple of guys on here who professionally restore these gauges for a living??? :? Stepping on toes and all that. :roll:
^^^Bullsh*t, how am I "stepping" on anyone's toes if I am looking to restore my own gauges? I'm not cutting anyone's grass, just looking for intel.

Maybe the the click here is just too tight, and some of you guys don't know where the bullsh*t starts and where it finishes?

To you other guys who replied....Thank you.
rodent

Post by rodent »

mizzytheman wrote:Hi Rodent,

As far as you being a pioneer
, I’m going to have to urinate on your BBQ :D . I’ve used this company for the parts needed to restore my Goldwing gauges. Good quality and they even supply the crimp rings if needed.

Obviously you missed the sarcasm......or did I? :roll:
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

rodent wrote:
stevewharton wrote:Perhaps the reason for the silence, is that I believe there are a couple of guys on here who professionally restore these gauges for a living??? :? Stepping on toes and all that. :roll:
^^^Bullshit, how am I "stepping" on anyone's toes if I am looking to restore my own gauges? I'm not cutting anyone's grass, just looking for intel.

Maybe the the click here is just too tight, and some of you guys don't know where the bullshit starts and where it finishes?

To you other guys who replied....Thank you.
And I thought I was being polite, answering a post which at the time hadn't had any replies and thinking that could have been a possible reason
As for the clique reference, I don't know anyone on here or otherwise who repairs gauges.
Perhaps I'd better keep my mouth shut in future, in case someone wants to misinterpret my thoughts.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

rodent wrote:
mizzytheman wrote:Hi Rodent,

As far as you being a pioneer
, I’m going to have to urinate on your BBQ :D . I’ve used this company for the parts needed to restore my Goldwing gauges. Good quality and they even supply the crimp rings if needed.

Obviously you missed the sarcasm......or did I? :roll:
Nope, we both got it spot on. :D
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Steve, Missy you were only trying to help :tw
( Clocks ) ;) as always.
We had a Super Moon here recently..(Australia).maybe the "Post"? is the lingering effects from that, or Covid - 19 :idea: :lol:

Regards,

Roger
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.