More rectifier and charging stuff.

You can chat about anything you like here
Alan H

More rectifier and charging stuff.

Post by Alan H »

Good news from Mizzy (my apprentice who has been doing field testing with his new rectifier installation here) - CLICKY LINKY .
Thanks to Martin for his help with the actual installation on his bike and pics and write up of the results.

There seems to have been a few rectifier and charging problems in the past, and a few more seem to crop up as time goes on - possibly due to the age of the bike's wiring and ancillary parts, so although I had issues with my T200 wiring and rectifier 18 months ago and fitted a new small rectifier on there and even bought a more modern 3 phase rectifier to use on the 550 (just in case), I never really needed to use it and stashed it in the spares box.
Anyway as mentioned earlier, there seems to have been a few charging problems recently (mainly on Kettles for some reason) so I decided to go to the next step and start to make some replacement rectifier units to go on all the triples as they have similar charging systems.
I understand that Suzuki stuck to the Denso alternator on the 750 (25.5 amp) but on the 380 and 550 two types were used, Denso as the 750 (but 28 amp) and Kokusan which was only 15.5 amp. See first pic for details. and other pic for identification of types.
Suzuki service manual 1972 P18.JPG
Click on the pics for a bigger view.
Generator types.jpg
Anyway, as I have been involved in these issues and the more modern rectifiers seem up to the job and cost far less, I am going to make some plug in kits for rectifier replacement. Of course they won't be the same as OEM, I'll use something like this -
Rec1.jpg
Rec1.jpg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 677 times
If you want an OEM type, contact Baz or ebay.

More news very soon when I have some pics.
They will be for sale and I'll do a decent discount for forum members on here and might even do 'something off' if you send me the old rectifier for my interest and research (such as: is it always the same diode that fails? or anything else I can learn from them.)
I'll do a good write up with each so that even the non-technical can fit the new units and I'm also making inquiries regarding a combined regulator/rectifier unit, and a (current fitting) reg rec/alternator/rectifier test unit but those are further away timewise.

I'll see how it goes and then see if something can be done for the T200 and T500 which are similar but I used one of these on the Invader -
rec2.jpg
rec2.jpg (8.37 KiB) Viewed 677 times
and also other models if there's any demand for them.
If anyone is interested, please post - but this time keep on thread or I'll just ask Martin to delete it. This one is a serious attempt to actually make something that can benefit Suzuki owners to keep their bikes running. Any other questions on the subject, please start another thread.
Thanks,
Alan.

I'll also do something on the different charging systems on separate threads as this subject seems to be very frequently 'in the news'!
In case anyone wonders, I'm a retired Electrical/Commissioning Engineer, so did lots of similar projects on a much larger scale when I had a real job..... :roll:
Last edited by Alan H on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
BAZ

Re: More rectifier and charging stuff.

Post by BAZ »

Cool project..
widget

Post by widget »

Having suffered from kettle charging issues in the past, following this with interest.......though lectric stuff is witchcraft to me....
mizzytheman

Post by mizzytheman »

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just been asked to clarify details for a 4 terminal rectifier being fitted to a T/GT500. This is the same as the one I fitted to a T200 so here goes.
The rectifier is only marked with 2 terminals, the - (or negative) and one of the ~ (AC) terminals. Well here's a bit more detail.
SP rectifier details.jpg
Note the terminal that's the 'wrong way' compared to the others - that's +.

So the - is opposite corner to the + and the second ~ is opposite corner to the one marked.
So the wires go as follows:
The red/green tracer wires go to the AC (or wiggly line terminal), yellow green tracer goes to the opposite corner (that's the second AC terminal. Red wire to battery goes to + and black/white tracer goes opposite (to -).
It doesn't matter which ~ terminal is used with the wires from the alternator, as the diodes will sort out which way the power goes, just make sure that the black (or on the T500, black with white tracer) go to - (opposite corner to +.

Hope that gives the required information.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated