DELKEVIC PIPE TEST

You can chat about anything you like here
JOHNJENKS66

Re: DELKEVIC PIPE TEST

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Well,after fitting a set to my latest restoration,I must admit that I'm very impressed with the Delkevic exhausts.They look almost identical,and from 3/4 feet away you could not tell the difference.The finish is of a very good quality,with lovely shiny chrome,and good fittings.Yes,they do not sound authentic,on tick over,standing a few feet away,but with your helmet on,and flying down the road who cares.You have a brand new,internal/external system,that will outlive most of us,and looks good.Brand new baffles,and threads.And if you can get a set at Stafford this year for the £600 that they have been selling them for,what a bargain!!!!
If you ride your bike a lot,in all weather conditions,it's a no brainer.A set of these set against a dent free re-chromed original set on a wet slippery road with the chance of a little spill,what would you rather risk???......Anyway you pays your money and you make your choice,,,,but overall I can honestly recommend these as a good cost effective(@£6oo) alternative too your cherished originals. :D :D :D

Regards,,,,,John.
what the fuck was that ????

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

8-) Hi John,yes they have fallen in price here in Australia,really to good to be true! $1,495 a set delivered freight free Brisbane to Sydney :) My pipes are suffering internally with baffle guide plate problems which aren't going to get any better with age ? so I think I'll be spending the money :( I was thinking about buying a Suzuki GS750 last week,,but now I've decided the kettle deserves the attention more than a second bike 8-)
Cheers,
Roger
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
andygt750m

Post by andygt750m »

Treat yourself and buy the gs750 as well Rodger :P lovely bike the gs 8-) , I hadn't realised the pipes had been reduced in price , very tempting at £600
JOHNJENKS66

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Hi Andy,I don't think that the pipes have been reduced,as such.The 2 lads working on the DK stall at Stafford implied that the sets on sale at £650,were seconds,but allowed us to look at as many pipes as we wanted.We could find nothing wrong,with the finish or overall look of any of the sets that we inspected,and we looked at a lot.As both myself and another lad with me bought a set each,we got them for £600,a set.I have looked at DK's e-bay feedback,regarding the online sale of these pipes,and over a 12 month period,they appeared to only sell 2 sets,online,1 to Denmark,and 1 to Germany,,,,,,,,,not exactly flying out the door at the £1200 odd they are looking for on e-bay.Over the 2 days of the show last year they shifted a van load at the lower price,I'd guess at around a 100 sets,as on the Saturday morning there was at least 30 to 40 boxed sets on the stand,and more in the vans.They had sold out by early Sunday afternoon,as I went looking for a second set.I'm hoping that they are there again this year,for the same price.

Regards,,,,,John.

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.. If you are reading this in English, then thank our Soldiers..
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi,not exactly a huge market here in Oz....but the door to door "freight free" offer on Ebay has been going for some months,so the sets must be selling ? I've seen the Delkevics fitted to bikes here,but not heard them run..waited for their owners at Bike Shows to start them up,but no one did !! Listened to the "you tube clip",..they do sound different :?
Cheers,
Roger
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
JOHNJENKS66

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

Hi Roger,yes I have to agree,that at tick over,and with you ear to ground,or close to the back of the bike,they do not sound like originals.
But,when I'm riding my bikes,I like to keep my ears safely underneath my crash hat,where they belong.
So I could not give two hoots as to what they might sound like as I'm passing somebody on the pavement/in a car/on another bike.
And I would like to bet that if you started your bike up with a set of these on,and the guys around had not owned a Kettle/or too young to know what they did originally sound like,they would not give a monkeys either.
I think that its better to keep on riding your bike with whatever exhausts you can get,be they copies/spannies/or a 3 into 1 than actually spend half your life worrying weather they sound exactly like an original set of 40+ year old originals.
If your lucky enough,in the future to find an affordable set of originals that look and sound as good as they did when new,grab them,and sell on your set of copies to some one else who cant find/afford such luxuries,And in the meantime,ride and enjoy you bike without the possibility of damaging something irreplaceable,or someday finding the baffle come flying out the back still attached to a lump of internal plate.After all its the bike your riding,and enjoying,not the note/sound that the exhausts make.

Good luck with whatever choice you make,and if you can grab both the bike(GS750) and the pipes DO IT, life's too short to worry.

Best regards,,,,John.

PS I do love the sound of the originals,and do have a perfect set tucked away for a rainy day,but I'm not going to loose sleep over it,one way or another.

PM sent.

canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Well. I've done the first 100 miles on the kettle and my original view still stands. The Delly's do sound a bit poppy at idle but once you are moving and the engine is under load they sound spot on. Interestingly, when I got the bike MOT'd, the garage owner was a real motorcycle "old sweat" and was rapturing over the lovely two stroke sound. He was amazed when I told him the pipes were repro.Kev
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

JOHNJENKS66 wrote:PS I do love the sound of the originals,and do have a perfect set tucked away for a rainy day,but I'm not going to loose sleep over it,one way or another.
Hi John,

Let me know if your selling your originals you have tucked away!! ;)

Regards Jeff
GT750A
JOHNJENKS66

Post by JOHNJENKS66 »

canaletto5 wrote:Well. I've done the first 100 miles on the kettle and my original view still stands. The Delly's do sound a bit poppy at idle but once you are moving and the engine is under load they sound spot on. Interestingly, when I got the bike MOT'd, the garage owner was a real motorcycle "old sweat" and was rapturing over the lovely two stroke sound. He was amazed when I told him the pipes were repro.Kev
I have to second you here Kev,I am putting up a few miles,weather permitting,before bringing the bike over to Baz's,to sell her on :( :( :( ,and have had a good few comment's from old time bikers about how nice it sounds. "Like a propper 2 stoke should" and such like.Amazingly,I have had a few enquiries about the bike,mostly involving a swop with a modern bike.Was almost tempted by a ZX10,plus cash,,,,,,,,almost.

canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

JOHNJENKS66 wrote:
canaletto5 wrote:Well. I've done the first 100 miles on the kettle and my original view still stands. The Delly's do sound a bit poppy at idle but once you are moving and the engine is under load they sound spot on. Interestingly, when I got the bike MOT'd, the garage owner was a real motorcycle "old sweat" and was rapturing over the lovely two stroke sound. He was amazed when I told him the pipes were repro.Kev
I have to second you here Kev,I am putting up a few miles,weather permitting,before bringing the bike over to Baz's,to sell her on :( :( :( ,and have had a good few comment's from old time bikers about how nice it sounds. "Like a propper 2 stoke should" and such like.Amazingly,I have had a few enquiries about the bike,mostly involving a swop with a modern bike.Was almost tempted by a ZX10,plus cash,,,,,,,,almost.
:lol: