Hippo update time.

You can chat about anything you like here
Alan H

Hippo update time.

Post by Alan H »

Just to refresh people's memories, a few weeks ago I bought John Jenk's Hippo and had it delivered from Ireland.
Here's how it was outside my garage when Richard the Supergrass blabbed!
itsnotateapot wrote:Busted
The space in th garage has been filled with a HIPPO
please feel free to comment about the sudden change of mind.
Alan will not buy a pint to the first person who recognises it.
(My bold addition!)

Well time and miles have gone by and there have been 'issues' most of which have sorted - some with Richard's assistance (cos he's OK really.)

Leaking fuel tap - new one fitted - causing poor starting (darn).
Poor starting (damn) - fitted new points.
Poor starting (bugger) - new plugs.
Poor starting (sh1t) - cleaned oily air filter.
Poor starting (F**K!!!) - new plug caps.
Starting is now better thank goodness as is my blood pressure, but I reckon the carbs need 'doing' and as it vibrates more than I think it should, Doctor Baz will be having a 'look' at it soonish and whipping the head and barrels off to see what's inside is as it should be.
Fuel consumption isn't great, and it does a full 10mpg worse than Richard's kettle when ridden at similar speeds on the same run out, so a set of carbs will be sorted while it's there too, I reckon.
Riding it has been an experience, as I expected a big 550, but it's completely different, and requires a different mind set when riding.
I do like the bike, but not as much as I had hoped, but that situation is improving now the starting is more reliable.
It handles OK, in a large way - definitely not as lively as the Earwig - but acceptable, so it's putupwithable.
I think some better pads in the front and have a look at the back brake which has started squealing, otherwise leave it alone until next month.
Lynn likes it as there's a bit more room, and it is a bit easier for longer distances, but I do still prefer the 550s.

The Saga continues - doncha just love old bikes? :roll:
Last edited by Alan H on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
nairb123

Re: Hippo update time.

Post by nairb123 »

Having got at least one of each 380/550/750 I find the 750 is great for longer distances on dual carriage or motorway... its like a Cadillac, comfy and stable.
But for the smaller roads and country riding the 550 is the winner. Much easier to ride and less effort than the 750. The 380 is great on most roads but feels out of place on the motorway. Like a small fish in a big pond.
I think the 550 is easier to ride due to the much reduced weight. If I had too chose I guess it would be the 550. But if I only had a 550 I would want a 750 as well.

All 3 bikes are a lot of fun.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Agree completely and for the same reasons.
I have one of each and think of the 380 with its 6 gears as a little jewel, the 550 as all around capable and the 750 for showing off!
At the moment the 550 is, for this moment at least (touch wood) a 'turnkey bike' at last. I swapped it from the workshop to the street garage for the first time, as my Hippo needs some attention. The SG is for 'ready to go' bikes only.
It'll probably blow up next ride :twisted:
Mike
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

:roll: Mike,please don't jinks yourself over the 550,I'm sure all the Gremlins have left your place,sounds like they have taken up residence at Alan's,& are now playing with his 750 :!: :!
Mine is fine at the moment,behaving herself nicely
Roger
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Roger,
Oh, the gremlins never went away, they just left my bikes alone and instead, took up residence in my bladder :twisted:
I'm still recovering from my nasty 'incident' in May - operation in July - its only this week for the first time I've had two days which I'd describe as 'good-ish'. More please. Today was really good. I had a swim in the morning and in the afternoon spent a few hours in the shed cleaning the 750 and forgot about everything. Now its time for a(t least a) double scotch nightcap. Whats not to like? :-)
Keep well,
Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just back off hols and went in the garage to say hello to the family.
550K started on the button.
Earwig didn't want to play as the starter didn't want to engage, so after a few naughty words were sent to it, decided it wanted to go and sounded well.
(Must have a look at the starter though as there's something not happy in there.)
Hippo didn't want to play as the battery was a bit down, checked and topped up then charged overnight.
Tried today, still not happy but started eventually. Hmmm.
Went for a shortish run and tried when I got back.
Didn't start on the button but went first kick. Hmmm.
Checked battery and only just over 12 volts in. Bugger.
Charging OK though, thank goodness.
Ordered a Motobatt which will be here tomorrow.

That'll be all three on Motobatts, so if the big 'un starts like the little 'uns, I'll be happier than I am now.
Looks like it'll be going to Uncle Baz's sooner rather than later though.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
suzukigary

Post by suzukigary »

Alan, I will be interested to see how you go on with this.
I have Mottobatts on all my bikes but the 750 does not like starting on the button,unless it is really warm after a good run..
It drains any battery really quickly, fortunately it starts easily on the kick-start.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

:idea: My 750 starts on the button hot or cold Wth the Motobatt,electronic Accent Ignition may be helping,but there must be a reason Garry why yours is not starting immediately on the button :?: I did replace the alternator brushes at the same time I fitted the Motobatt :idea:
Cheers,
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

If the 750 has stood for more than a week without being started then it can take ages on the button to get it running. I usually kick it to life. But when the 750 is used at least once a week it always starts fine on the button.
suzukigary

Post by suzukigary »

Roger Ackery wrote::idea: My 750 starts on the button hot or cold Wth the Motobatt,electronic Accent Ignition may be helping,but there must be a reason Garry why yours is not starting immediately on the button :?: I did replace the alternator brushes at the same time I fitted the Motobatt :idea:
Cheers,

Yes, I think my starter motor is a bit "lazy" .The good thing is,it starts with the kick-start.
It drains a battery almost immediately when cold on the button. Irespective what type.
I will be interested to see what Alan says.