Hippo update time.

You can chat about anything you like here
Alan H

Re: Hippo update time.

Post by Alan H »

Been out on it a few times now and it seems to have settled down after the long rest over the cold period. Running really well now.
I expect it's just luring me into a sense of false security.......
Nearly 3000 miles in the last 12 months - despite the 'issues'.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Interesting ride t'other day Wednesday). The clutch has been a bit grabby on occasion and coming home from South Leverton, the clutch cable decided that it wasn't happy and divorced the lever end nipple, which of course meant that the clutch wouldn't disengage.
'Intercourse' thought I, and carried on the next 15ish miles to the pub, changing gear without clutch and managing not to stop 'till I got there.
Anyway, after suitable part strength sustenance, we set off (new starter motor last year!) and got home safely. Fitted a new clutch cable the next day after having to make a spanner to fit the inner nut on the adjuster thingy. (New cable a couple of mm shorter than t'owd 'un). What a pisspot design. The 550 one is a lot easier to change, but heyho, there we go and Hippo is running again. Couldn't find the spare cable of course but got one from AW spares in Doncaster at £8.50, so the wallet moths didn't notice. Raked about in the garage and found the spare cable yesterday, but that will be going on the 550J (same cable 550 and 750) so ordered another 'just in case'.
Just another episode in tbe 70s 2 stroke saga. Never dull is it?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Settled down again, so I thought I'd tart BH up with a new back tyre as a treat ready for the Brummie KC track weekend in Dudley next week.
It (the tyre and prob'ly BH) had been well abused by BJ (Big John) riding two or even three up in Eire and thereabouts, so as the tyre was getting 'slicky' it seemed like a good idea......So........
Whip the wheel out. No.
Everything in the way and TAF (work it out) from split pins to spindle, but eventually the swing arm relinquished control ready for it's new carpet. Ready for the tyre place......not having one until tomorrow afternoon, despite telling me they had them in 'all the time' Nobs.
Bugger.
Wonder why the front brake went spongy when BH came out of the garage - I know, I'll have a look in the (empty) master cylinder.....
WTF!!!!!
Ring Baz to see what he put in it. Dot 5.
Typical, I haven't got some and no-one else has around here.
Double bugger.
Ordered some - tomorrow afternoonishish.....
Treble bugger.

Fortunately the Bronto GSX1400 appears to be up to a run out tomorrow as the Earwig has had a coughing fit over the weekend. Might be pollenitis or summat.
Foble bugger.

F'kin 2 strokes. Don't we just love 'em........
malky

Post by malky »

Know the feeling Al - this bloody GT250K is driving me bonkers - its been a pita from the offset - I think I should have left it go in the skip that it was destined for !!! - had a guts full of it :twisted:
Mal.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Alan H wrote:Settled down again, so I thought I'd tart BH up with a new back tyre as a treat ready for the Brummie KC track weekend in Dudley next week.
It (the tyre and prob'ly BH) had been well abused by BJ (Big John) riding two or even three up in Eire and thereabouts, so as the tyre was getting 'slicky' it seemed like a good idea......So........
Whip the wheel out. No.
Everything in the way and TAF (work it out) from split pins to spindle, but eventually the swing arm relinquished control ready for it's new carpet. Ready for the tyre place......not having one until tomorrow afternoon, despite telling me they had them in 'all the time' Nobs.
Bugger.
Wonder why the front brake went spongy when BH came out of the garage - I know, I'll have a look in the (empty) master cylinder.....
WTF!!!!!
Ring Baz to see what he put in it. Dot 5.
Typical, I haven't got some and no-one else has around here.
Double bugger.
Ordered some - tomorrow afternoonishish.....
Treble bugger.

Fortunately the Bronto GSX1400 appears to be up to a run out tomorrow as the Earwig has had a coughing fit over the weekend. Might be pollenitis or summat.
Foble bugger.

F'kin 2 strokes. Don't we just love 'em........
TAF :lol:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Well, Hippo has been quite good this year - looks like Baz done good, he'll be pleased to know!!
However, now it's getting a bit colder, Hippo has been a bit iffy to start sometimes. Finally decided to find out why, and noticed that the choke didn' seem to do anything. Strange.
Closer look and the choke lever is fine, but the bit that joins the choke lever to the actual choke shaft has gone AWOL.
20181102_094730.jpg
Bugger.
Looks like a call to BAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZ!
I think the carbs need servicing too, so a visit to Brum might be on the cards soon.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

image.jpeg
;) Hi Alan,the Hippo needs a bit more love & attention,getting her own back on time spent with the air cooled sisters perhaps ? They are really nice to ride when well sorted :idea:As you know I've had mine 16 years this month :)
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

And I've owned mine 31 years come December, 155,000 miles on the clock, 95,000 of those ridden by me and I wouldn't swap my kettle for any other bike. I've had several "affairs" :oops: but they've never lasted too long (until the kettle was fixed) and I've always gone back to her. Something about the kettle methinks, character maybe, unusual perhaps, but certainly interesting and always a joy to ride :D
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Absolutely FABulous ;) :P :idea:
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Finally managed to clean most of the crap off the Hippo since Ireland.
It'll probably only take another two or three cleans to make it proper. ...
Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to next weekend no matter what the weather is.
I've warned the hotel/pub to make sure the beer tanks are well topped up anyway.
Shame that Scotch isn't coming, I thought he was a Brummie, not a tight Scotch git. :roll: .........
Mebbe his van is miserable? :|