A funny thing happened on the way home

You can chat about anything you like here
Alan H

Re: A funny thing happened on the way home

Post by Alan H »

Yesterday I tried to start the Santa Fé and the battery was almost flat, bunged the charger on and gave it a boost and away it went. As the battery is the original one and at least 8 years old, I though I'd treat the car to a new one. After 45 minutes of trying most of the batteries in the shop (Halfords!) they gave up as none fit properly. Image
So I went to Leeds and back and it seemed OK, charged and ran fine. When I got home, parked up and got on with 'other things' for a couple of hours, then when I tried to put the car away, the battery was almost flat again. Image
Anyway, tested the battery and noted that there was about a half amp drain when everything was switched off and doors closed, so I just disconnected the battery, thought Image and took Lynn to the pub! It's only a 10 minute walk and we had a nice dinner.
So today, I set to with the tester and a hammer just in case, and found that the new towbar that was fitted after the M1 'dink' had been fitted with the original 13 pin trailer socket and not cleaned. (see pics). After lots of naughty words Image, it still wasn't any better so I had to clean it all up.
All done and clean, checked all the circuits - and there's a LOT! - and it all seems better now.
Just another friggin' day in the garage/on the drive.

But after all that I just ran the Earwig up (on SORN) and then nipped out on the Green Meanie (cos it's taxed), so all was well and the street was full of blue smoke. Then to cap it all, Lynn just made me a gret big bacon sarnie, so I can't turn Muz for a few days now! So the day started off poor, but ened on a high note - now to the whisky cupboard!! Image

Words will be said that can't be unsaid tomorrow when I ring the car menders who did my car and left it like that.Image
Attachments
20170219_161628.jpg
20170219_161421.jpg
20170219_161404.jpg
20170219_161325.jpg
Last edited by Alan H on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Alan,
The old 'parasitic load' problem. At least you found it! they can be difficult sometimes. I had one on an Audi TT and it was the sound system, somehow not fully powering off when the key was removed. Solution: turn it off when the driver gets out!
Cheers,
Mike
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Just had the invoice for the Toyota, kindly paid for by Rosie Rafiq - the Corsa driver by the looks.
23 days at £102.59/day + Vear And Tear + £2831.48. :shock:
K'inell! No wonder her cousin the lawyer wanted to get me onside ! :roll:

Scotch'll have a fit when he sees that!!! :lol:
Attachments
Toyota invoice.jpg
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Richard and I had a better visit to Baz's today in some ways - and worse in others.
Better;
Nice coffee by Carmen.
Saw the Hippo and ran it - sounds good, but when carbs are sorted will be better. :)
Not long to get it home and fit the new colour scheme. Kettle Klub and other analii (not Steve Wharton, he's OK really) will throw a fit hopefully! :shock:
Got some bits for the Earwig clocks. 8-)
Talked lots of bike b o l l o c k s stuff.
Had some nosh that Baz paid for.
Didn't get attacked by other vehicles on the way home, even though a mini pulled out in front quite closely. I don't think they appreciated 4 headlights in their mirror afterwards and I think they heard me shouting despite all windows being closed - the 4kwit.

Worse;
Had to give Baz the money to pay for dinner. :cry:
Thought we'd gone deaf - then realised it was because Scotch wasn't there. :lol:

Otherwise quite a nice day. Thanks Baz.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Had some tea when I got home - I like a balanced diet.
20170302_200241.jpg
Balanced? I hear you think.
Yes, the glass of whisky and the plate with Ryvita and mackerel fillets weigh the same.
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Not long to get it home and fit the new colour scheme. Kettle Klub and other analii (not Steve Wharton, he's OK really) will throw a fit hopefully! :shock:[/quote]

Only just spotted this post Alan, must have missed it somehow, anyway thanks for that nice comment, which coming from you is rather touching.
Being as I was back then a member of the kettle club committee, I'm not used to compliments, so again thanks and I'll pay you when I see you :lol:
Steve W.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".