Need to replace 4ls front rim

4lscafe

Need to replace 4ls front rim

Post by 4lscafe »

Hello all, I'm recently new to the site. I'm in the process of using a 4ls front end from a 1972 gt750j on a custom build. I don't have any rims/wheels for my project yet and was wondering if there were any aftermarket rims out there that the group was happy with. I searched this site as well as I could but wasn't able to find anything definitive. I'd like to use a flanged rim with the 4ls if possible. I've found some suitable rims online but I've already invested in a set of NOS front spokes and was wondering if the holes in the stock rims are drilled at some non-standard angle or manner in order to accommodate the large diameter of the brake hub. I'm trying to avoid buying an Akront style rim that won't accommodate the stock spokes and hub from the 4ls.

Any information and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Rowland
Black Mountain, NC USA
PaulD738

Re: Need to replace 4ls front rim

Post by PaulD738 »

Hi and welcome to the forum, if I was you I would post an introduction before you get a severe telling off by one or more of our more “tetchy” members :roll:
As for your question about rims suitable for the kettle 4ls front brake I used Borrani flanged rims on TR500 replica without any problems.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

Welcome to the forum....?? The front wheel rim is only for the 4ls, because of the angle of the spoke holes are at a shaper angle, because of the hub.. I have a few rims, if you get stuck.. But good luck with finding one cheap, as there's a few on ebay.. 1 at £750 and one with the forks, at £1, 249.99

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2027324080
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

teazer

Post by teazer »

Check with MikesXS.com for an 18" rim in whatever width you need, drilled to take a drum brake. All Yamaha and all GT750 rear drums are very close to the same size and spoke angle and close to the size and angle of a 4LS anchor. You may need to massage the holes slightly but not a lot.

If that fails, get Buchanans to drill a rim to exactly match your hub. They have built enough of them to know the correct angles.
Kettletimes3

Post by Kettletimes3 »

KETTLE BOY wrote:Welcome to the forum....?? The front wheel rim is only for the 4ls, because of the angle of the spoke holes are at a shaper angle, because of the hub.. I have a few rims, if you get stuck.. But good luck with finding one cheap, as there's a few on ebay.. 1 at £750 and one with the forks, at £1, 249.99

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2027324080
Over the pond You could bike a complete bike for that kind of money.
4lscafe

Post by 4lscafe »

Thanks to all who responded. You've confirmed some of my concerns and given me a few alternatives.

I tend to stick with two-strokes and I've always loved the look of the large diameter brake shoe hub setup. I know it adds a lot of unsprung weight, but I'm not necessarily looking for hi-speed performance. I bought a complete 4LS setup to fit to a cafe racer project on a 1968 Bridgestone 350. I looked at Ceriani units but they are over-priced. The Bridgestone 350 has a larger and longer frame than other 350's of that era. The entire front end setup is only eight pounds heavier than the stock unit. Fitting the lower triple tree only required a little time on the lathe to extend the existing shoulder another 3mm. Other than that, it will be a near stock setup except for some new seals and Progressive or Racetech springs sized for the GT550.

There are a few NOS wheels/rims for sale in the US for about $125.00 but I'm still looking for the classic flanged rim. Undrilled rims are still an option too. Rims without the chrome finish would be great.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

You can get stainless rims drilled to suit about £100 ish. I also have a spare front NOS rim (and a rear 18"), needs rechroming but otherwise in good condition