tail of two filaments

Alan H

Re: tail of two filaments

Post by Alan H »

canaletto5 wrote:The running light isn't supposed to be very bright (I know, there is a joke there somewhere
Paul's love child? :roll:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
reginald

Post by reginald »

Checking out the rear bulb-holder assembly reveals a nekkid earth wire has shed it's insulation and is making bare contact with the metal housing (see attachment).

http://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/d ... w&id=22025

To what exactly should that black & white lead be grounded too - any black wire that will allow current to reach the frame or motor? or any metal part of the bulb assembly?

I'm still questioning if my powder coated rear fender might be insulating the ground from going it's right way.

The voltages from the 3-pin block are now all where they should be...Ignition on gets me a bright,steady running light, but still no brake light from either lever. Would this stray earth wire be the culprit ?

I sense the solution is close at hand...am I one connection away from Brake Supremacy ?

Reginald Half-Lit grounding out.
Attachments
20180601_184151.jpg
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

That does not look right. I don't have an A taillight to look at but my B unit has the black/white wire screwed to the lamp bracket with a crimped ring terminal. Yes, check for earth continuity between the lamp holder body and an earth point on the frame.
reginald

Post by reginald »

Kev (Canaletto5)

I followed your lead and ran a new ground with ring terminals, . one under the bulb mount screw , it's under the extra washer in attached photo..

Ran the new line behind the tail-bracket 'upright', ended it in the lower bolt-hole in the tail mounting bracket, so it's protected and not readily visible. It only worked once I dremel'd off a circle of the powder-coat underneath the fender /tail-bracket bolt hole. Seems to be able to find it's way from there.

Thanks for the Tutuorial, it seems simple once someone like yourself takes the time to fill in the blank spots. A great credit to the forum , continually 'paying it forward' for the next Buffalo Soldier.

SLAINTE,

Reginald Re-Luminated
Attachments
BULB.jpg
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Glad to help oh illuminated one. Now Ride Natty Ride :D

sláinte agad-sa
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Trouble with those later models is they only have one bulb.............
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
reginald

Post by reginald »

Well my celebration was short-lived..oops...uncovered another Gremlin..all the lighting is still good sitting in the carport. But with the Bike running , again I have rear running light but no .brake-light. Shut 'er down and they all work again. Frigglesticks...

Anyone ?
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

When you say "shut her down" do you mean switching off the engine kill switch?
reginald

Post by reginald »

Yes exactly, all lighting functions operate without the engine running, the running light stays on, turn signals / headlights/ horn/ dashboard lights are all ok, and either brake lever will light the brake light.

just no brakel-ight with engine running. . ..which tempts me to think there's a simple fix. A short somewhere in the rear section of the harness?

Wife having a good laugh, "hey there's only 3 wires there mate!"
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

No, I smell a headlamp bucket problem.

Turn on the ignition and switch the kill switch to OFF. Do the electrics work as they should?

Next, leave the ignition on but turn the kill switch to ON. Do not start the engine. What happens to the electrics?