1st to 2nd issues ...

Steve72J

1st to 2nd issues ...

Post by Steve72J »

Perhaps it's from the GT sitting so long and riding a different bike, but going to 2nd has become an issue. Occasionally when going into 2nd it's a easy prod on lever and a slight "clunk" is heard, as is/was normal.

But more often than not, a loud clunk is heard and the lever sometimes feels like it doesn't want to move without an excessive amount of force. Not so much I'm worried about damaging anything, just enough to notice it.

If I crawl out of 1st into 2nd as soon as the bike is rolling most of the time it feels right. But occasionally it's extremely stiff. What could be going on ?

Gear box oil is at the right level and maybe has 2500 miles/4000k on it. Can't say it's any different when cold and warming up, or when it's at operating temperature.

Haven't checked the clutch adjustments in awhile but as I've said, it hasn't been ridden much in a few years.
malky

Re: 1st to 2nd issues ...

Post by malky »

I think this is a normal Suzuki GT thing - what makes 1st to 2nd worse sometimes especially if it's on choke is that the revs hang more than normal hence the familiar clunk - I rode a GT250 ,a T500 and a Yamaha RD250 on Saturday and remember thinking to myself how much better the gear change on the Yam was with a lot less travel and a much more positive neutral - not so much dancing about with the gear lever either trying to find neutral
Mal.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Funny mine has never clunked first to second in 16 years !! finding neutral can be a problem at times,especially if you stop in first & want neutral :(
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
Steve72J

Post by Steve72J »

Thanks Malky ...going to go with that, could be my shifting, know I'm rusty. And yes, I have trouble getting neutral sometimes too, rarely though. The lever just doesn't want to go there sometimes and I have to tweak the clutch.

Got a Motion Pro Cable Luber the other day and when we get settled from our move next month I plan lubing the cables and checking all the settings. Other than the throttles, those are fairly new.

Got a occasional nasty rear brake squeal that I might look at sometime too.
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

Hi, keep an eye on that rear brake, you maybe getting a bit low on brake shoe material or it just needs a good clean up from brake dust & standing ;)
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

On both kettles I’ve owned first to second has always been a bit iffy, I found the easiest way around it was to short shift and get into second as soon as possible. Do it nice and slowly and you will be ok. It’s just a matter of refining your technique. As they say “they all do that sir” :roll:
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

[quote="PaulD738"]On both kettles I’ve owned first to second has always been a bit iffy,

I've noticed this on mine but only when the engine is cold, ok once warmed up

Jeff
GT750A