Regulator

teazer

Re: Regulator

Post by teazer »

Alan H wrote:If you'd've asked yesterday, when you called in, I've got spares. :roll:

Check connections between reg and battery and reg and earth.
If any of these are bad, the reg gets an indication that the battery is discharged, so the reg gives it a boost and doesn't adjust to 'trickle' as the battery charges.
At least you know the alternator and rectifier are OK!
Alan is right that any bad connections create an overcharge condition.

Even with a new battery, it is important to get full battery voltage to the sensor cable. Typically the system has too many bad connections and the voltage on the line to the regulator can show as low as 11v even when the battery is fully charged, so the regulator continues to try to cram more electrons in.
Steve72J

Post by Steve72J »

I had fuses constantly popping when I first got my current GT750J. Make a long story short the regulator was full of a white powdery stuff (desiccant). I used a tooth brush to remove most of it and then an electrical aerosol cleaner. Worked fine after that for a few years.... probably one "of those rare" problem fixes one comes across now and then. Worth a check though.

Start popping fuses again a few years later but that problem was traced to a new battery that had the pos/neg posts marked backwards. The battery showed to be clocked correctly but was marked from the factory backwards. The bike actually ran great but kept popping fuses and wasted the regulator after a few days.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

So Terry, how did it went?
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
teebowbusablaster

Post by teebowbusablaster »

I popped the cap off, and as per the manual bent the tang till I got a good 13.8V at 3,000 recs (lights off). Seems to be keeping the battery charged, and now that it's not trying to spin 4400ml of gearbox oil, the starter seems to be having an easier time too. Strange how something seemingly unconnected, (overfull gearbox) can impact on another system (Struggling starter motor).