GT750 water pump stuck with cases split.

Skyguyz

GT750 water pump stuck with cases split.

Post by Skyguyz »

So I was suspecting this would happen... :cry:

The water pump is stuck and won't budge even with using some tapping on the gear side from within the case. The locating bolt was removed as well as the C clip on the impeller. The impeller won't come off. I will use some penetrating oil overnight but my confidence level is low that it will work. heating the aluminum case up is a risky process and can deform the case. I'd consider drilling a hole in the shaft on the impeller side but that is stuck and using the "Pull method" but the impeller is stuck

Any thoughts, opinions how best to remove the stuck impeller and then the stuck water pump?

Sky

Last edited by Skyguyz on Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvansWard

Re: GT750 water pump stuck with cars split.

Post by EvansWard »

Go register over at Sundial Suzuki board and you will find info on the template method to remove it by one hole that can be plugged later from the top side of case under starter. Search on my name and will be glad to loan you the template I made based on others knowledge. Patience here, no heat!
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV
1984 Yamaha RZ350
mick 63

Re: GT750 water pump stuck with cases split.

Post by mick 63 »

once you get the impeller off there is a bigger circlip you have to remove before the pump will come out , cheers Mick ;)
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Use a small, three or two leg bearing puller to get the impeller off . You may have to grind down the hooks on the puller legs a bit to fit under. Set the puller up, pour boiling water over the impeller wher the shaft comes through and gently wind the puller down. Worked for me. Kev
teazer

Post by teazer »

The guys are right that the impeller must be removed to get to the large circlip hiding underneath it.

A suitable 3 leg puller is the best way to get the impeller off. You can heat it with a butane torch and use a pair of large flat blade screwdrivers but be very careful not to damage the crankcases.
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

mick 63 wrote:once you get the impeller off there is a bigger circlip you have to remove before the pump will come out , cheers Mick ;)

I realized that after looking at the schematic agin...Sheesh. :oops:

Cheers!
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

teazer wrote:The guys are right that the impeller must be removed to get to the large circlip hiding underneath it.

A suitable 3 leg puller is the best way to get the impeller off. You can heat it with a butane torch and use a pair of large flat blade screwdrivers but be very careful not to damage the crankcases.

I will have a go at it today. Thanks for the info. This forum is the best!

Sky
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

The water pump is out with no damage to the pump or case. The help here is always spot on and I appreciate all the inputs.

Best,

Sky

* The Kettle before dismantling. :)

canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Tidy bike. How did you do the job in the end? Kev
Skyguyz

Post by Skyguyz »

canaletto5 wrote:Tidy bike. How did you do the job in the end? Kev
The picture I posted is the bike before tear down. It ran but had many issues. Upon inspecting the pistons, one was developing a very small crack. Engine oil was dripping, it needs help. I have the cases done and am awaiting the crank to come back from Bune's shop here in the states. It will be a while before I get it back together. I am taking my time on this bike.

Cheers,

Sky