starting after 27 years

Hutchie63

starting after 27 years

Post by Hutchie63 »

Hi i have just purchased a 1976 gt550 which has been stood up dry stored for the last 27 years. what are the 1st steps in attempting to start the bike

cheers
hutchie
astrax

Re: starting after 27 years

Post by astrax »

Hi Hutchie

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

27 years is quite a while, I have a GT750 so not sure if any addition 550 checks, but one of the guys on the forum will be able to add info.

Personally I would remove all 3 spark plugs and the 3 SRIS check valves at the lower front of the crankcase, and use the kick start with your hand to make sure the engine turns over freely, assuming this is ok, would give a few squirts of 2 stroke oil in each cylinder and continue to use the kick start to turn over a few more times, may want to repeat oiling few times

Where the check valves are removed if any 2 stroke oil has drained from the oil tank and collected in the crankcase, it should drain out from the holes in the crankcase,
remembering to re-fit after ;)

I would also check the carb, taking the bowls off and check no crud in the carbs, as any fuel left in the carbs will likely to leave some mess
Also check air filter

Check throttle cables move freely

Get a new battery, make sure plenty of 2 stroke oil in the tank, new plugs, check state of points ( assuming not got electronic ignition fitted ) check points gap.

Also if dry stored with 2 stroke oil drained, want to prime the oil feed pipes using a 10ml syringe and fresh 2 stroke oil

Then a bit of fresh petrol, give it a go,
Good luck

Ian
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Hi Hutchie welcome to the forum and the ever growing 550 corner. Can you tell us what model you have? and whereabouts you are. why dont you post some pictures we love looking at finds like this. There is loads of very experienced chaps on here with lots of technical knowledge as well. As Astrax said above i think the most important thing for you to do is drain the crankcase as oil may have been seeping in for 27 years and can cause a condition called 'hydraulic lock' . Good luck and keep us posted!
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Hutchie63

Post by Hutchie63 »

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome. the bike is a 1976 model. I am located in Ringwood in Hampshire UK.
I am glad you said there are lots of experienced guys on here as this will be my 1st GT restoration. looks like i will be asking lots of questions and looking for good suppliers.
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
$_57 (8).JPG
$_57 (7).JPG
$_57 (6).JPG
$_57 (5).JPG
$_57 (4).JPG
$_57 (3).JPG
$_57 (2).JPG
$_57 (1).JPG
astrax

Post by astrax »

Hi Hutchie

Looks like will have a little bit of work to do depending how far you want to go with the restoration, but a good starting point and will hopefully good fun as your first GT.
Do take lots of photos as you take parts off, nice to see before and after.
As mentioned lots of guys on the forum with 550 knowledge so always somebody here to help, day or night.

Nice to have another person down South, you are about 20 miles from me.

Thanks
Ian
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Lift the head & barrels, remove the pistons then fill all 3 crankcases with diesel. Turn the engine over steadily (and a lot) then drain and repeat. Over oil all the bearings including big & small ends and then rebuild. Try and start it after you have cleaned the carbs at least twice. You will need easy start. This may not work every time, but it worked on 2 x GT550s for me.
If the engine runs, fine. If it sounds like a bag of spanners, at least it's only cost you a pint of diesel and some time.
Last edited by Alan H on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Have a look on the members services on this site there are good suppliers there. These 550,s are fab to ride you wait and see. My advice is to get it running and ride it first restore it later bit by bit.good luck
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
crazy4557

Post by crazy4557 »

Great looking project, you're close to me so I can help if needed. PM sent.
Looks like J or K model engine to me. Wrong head, carbs, fuel tap, indicators from a B model and front guard has two stays and not one.

You probably knew this anyway!
1976 GT550A in black
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

crazy4557 wrote:Great looking project, you're close to me so I can help if needed. PM sent.
Looks like J or K model engine to me. Wrong head, carbs, fuel tap, indicators from a B model and front guard has two stays and not one.

You probably knew this anyway!
Possibly an engine swap like my Q plate 550.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
barney01

Post by barney01 »

I think the airbox carbs and barrels are from a j/k the bottom and ram air cover are right I think. Tank is also j/k as fuel tap is further back. Nice to see those receipts from Bran Bardesleys in Carnarvon(now defunct) got a few of them as well!
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE