THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS

Post by BAZ »

When you have no 2 stroke oil supply...
Attachments
DSC_0254.JPG
shunter

Re: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS

Post by shunter »

Ouch that looks sore,how reliable is the oil pump system on these bikes.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

I hope that's not from Neil's 750J!
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

Never seen a oil pump fail so my be a blocked pipe will find out before we run the rebuilt Engine..
nairb123

Post by nairb123 »

Last edited by nairb123 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAZ

Post by BAZ »

He says not so will look elsewhere........
Roger Ackery

Post by Roger Ackery »

:o A very rare occurrence ! I'm sure you'll find a good reason as to what went wrong Baz,I know a guy who crushed the main line to the pump with the pump cover :oops: the result wasn't pretty,locked up solid....he was running in a rebuilt motor :!: he was rather unhappy at the time :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cheers,
Roger
Cheers.
Roger
GT750A.
yeadon_m

Post by yeadon_m »

Barry,
I agree that oil pump failures are very unlikely BUT they do happen, according to Ian Sandy. Rarely, one or other little piston in the pump sticks after long-standing especially if water gets into the oil tank.
If the pump is working, and not out of oil or has a non vented tank cap, and the hose isn't crushed by the pump cover, then I'm guessing line-end cylinder banjo on just that cylinder has such a high cracking pressure that all the oil went to the other two lines on that 'trio'.
I hadn't twigged until recently that, because there's just one pump piston per trio of lines (one piston for cylinders and one for cranks), if one line end banjo has a very much higher cracking pressure than the other two in that trio, that banjo can emit NO oil at all. This, I have seen in a few oil line sets. I once obtained 15 oil line sets at once (covering all three GT triples) and 2-3 of them had at least one banjo which emitted NO oil when tested using a known-good oil pump.
Good luck!
Mike
teazer

Post by teazer »

Kinked and restricted feed lines are pretty common but there's usually just enough flow to feed the motor.

Stuck plungers are also possible as Mike pointed out. I have only ween one in around a dozen pumps I have stripped and rebuilt, but it can happen. Another possibility is debris in the oil tank or worse yet - Bean oil added to the tank which coagulates and turns to sludge when mixed with mineral oil.

Between the two oil feeds per cylinder and the SRIS which takes surplus oil from one cylinder to another, oil feed failure is a rare occurrence. I would suspect air leaks or an ignition that slipped/opened up. Interested to hear what you find in there.
RichardsMorphy

Post by RichardsMorphy »

yeadon_m wrote: oil pump failures are very unlikely BUT they do happen, according to Ian Sandy. Rarely, one or other little piston in the pump sticks after long-standing especially if water gets into the oil tank.
'Sounds more like a maintainance issue, lots of parts will keep going for a very long time with no problems........until they're neglected.
Drew. '75 GT750M