charging? or not?

mrjones

Re: charging? or not?

Post by mrjones »

ive just come in from a short ride and i think the electrical system is alright,i dont have a voltmeter but im going to check the battery using a multimeter, i had the tank panels and headlght off yesterday and checked all was as it should be ,good connections ,earths etc, i should add i had a lot of trouble electrically last year so have replaced a large part of the electrical system (points plugs ht leads coil leads both harnesses right switches ignition switch starter relay reg/rec battery) the horn works now (loose connection somewhere?)
when i bought this bike i didnt think id need electrical qualifications to get it working properly! as well as deep (,now empty!) pockets! last year it kept blowing fuses no matter what i tried eventually a new reg/rec solved that problem but caused this one,lol (should i be laughing?) anyway i will message paul for an "easy" i hope,. fix
mrjones

Post by mrjones »

latest progress report , i checked the battery using a multimeter and found it was producing 11.95 while running and 11.49 not running i tried it 3 times and each time the reading got slightly less which i imagine was the battery power getting less with nothing coming back, i took the casing off and looked at the generator brushes one was missing about a third of its contact area the other about a quarter! they were ok 84 miles ago! thats the milage ive done since its been "finished" (are they ever? lol)
they were the ones that came on the bike so im guessing they are quite old
obviously i will be replacing them although all the ones ive seen advertised need de and re assembling soldering the contact etc , cant i just buy an assembled unit ? do you think this is the cause of my problem? or should i keep looking?
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Since the connector block under the fuel tank is known to fail check that item. Its the white one with a red, an orange and a black with white tracer wire in it. Basically it connects the main power circuits between the front and rear of the harness together. Its a pathetic item they cheapened after the 73 models and so its best replaced with something better.
GT750 ft harness 4.JPG
Two strokes, its just that simple.