J carb problems ?

999homer

J carb problems ?

Post by 999homer »

Hi all my J runs great when you wind the throttle on but when you shut it jerks very badly enough to pull the clutch in any ideas ?
PaulD738

Re: J carb problems ?

Post by PaulD738 »

The J doesn't normally suffer from the dreaded surging so I would check the carbs are synchronised and also if you are using points ignition check timing and gaps
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
999homer

Post by 999homer »

New points and set up by my mechanic mate at the local bike shop
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Check your carbs are synchronised and that there are no air leaks from the connecting rubbers, you can do this by spraying carb cleaner around them while the motor is idling. If there are any leaks the revs will rise. Have you checked the plug colour? maybe it's running lean?
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!

barney01

Post by barney01 »

+1 on what paul says. I had this problem with my 550J i dropped the needle clips by one notch and fitted one size bigger pilot jets. This made the bike run much better on closed throttle. Oh and always 98 octane petrol.Another thing to check, is your chain adjusted correctly and no tight spots? Swinging arm lubricated and not stiff. All these things can contribute to the jerking.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
999homer

Post by 999homer »

Anyone know where I can get jet needles from Suzuki part number 09494-00051 also while I had my carbs off took off the 2 stroke lines as the bike smoked like a bastard on start up and sure enough all the lines are letting by
Oh and anyone have photos of the routing of the throttle and choke cables please.
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

Crooks, Robinsons or Slingers for genuine Mikuni stuff. If I get chance over the weekend I'll whip my tank off and photograph the cable runs for you.

999homer

Post by 999homer »

Thanks Paul that would be a great help