Gen rotor painted or not?

mrjones

Gen rotor painted or not?

Post by mrjones »

As some of you may have read i have been having charging problems, comparing the rotor with others on the internet i wonder if it matters that mine is unpainted? when i got it the paint was cracked and blistered so i removed it with wet and dry thinking uncoated metal is better for conducting electric. obviously suzuki coated/painted it for a reason ,protection against corrosion? so does anyone know why? and is it important?
Alan H

Re: Gen rotor painted or not?

Post by Alan H »

I would think that if the paint was cracked and blistered, it had already been subjected to a lot of heat and may have been on its last legs anyway.
There should hardly be a gap between rotor and stator, the bigger the gap, the worse it works. With or without paint shouldn't make any difference really, and there shouldn't be anything to corrode the parts in there.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Waterbuffalo
Location: Mostly Barbados, often Florida and ocassionally western Canada; trust me,I get around.

Re: Gen rotor painted or not?

Post by Waterbuffalo »

Rust is the main issue so I strip them and repaint the rotors properly. Once its dry I remove the tape I covered the coil section with.
GT rotor 1.JPG
Two strokes, its just that simple.