J model leaking float bowls

999homer

J model leaking float bowls

Post by 999homer »

Now I am either rubbish at setting float heights or I have 2 leaking flat bowls left and middle so am beginning to think although I cannot see anything with the naked eye that there are leaks in the float bowls themselves ?
So does anybody have a left and middle float bowls I can purchase from them.
Rijko

Re: J model leaking float bowls

Post by Rijko »

how about taking off the bowls, placing them in a vice,
fill them up with gas and see if they leak ?
PaulD738

Post by PaulD738 »

The overflow on the VM carbs isn't a brass tube outside of the float bowls like other carbs
but just a hole in the casting, the brass tube is inside the bowl and controls the fuel overflow. It might look like the casting itself is leaking but it's actually not, it's highly unlikely the casting is leaking unless you can see a crack. I would check the actual float needles are sealing properly before you buy another set of float bowls.
They're rubbish them Jap bikes lad they won't last five minutes! you want to get yourself a nice Royal Enfield!
A quote from my old dad 8-)

I started out with nothing and I’ve got most of it left!
999homer

Post by 999homer »

May try the vice method only trouble is fuel will evaporate have tried changing float needles and seats as carbs were leaking before as well as floats and still leaking
Rijko

Post by Rijko »

PaulD738 wrote:The overflow on the VM carbs isn't a brass tube outside of the float bowls like other carbs
but just a hole in the casting, the brass tube is inside the bowl and controls the fuel overflow. It might look like the casting itself is leaking but it's actually not, it's highly unlikely the casting is leaking unless you can see a crack. I would check the actual float needles are sealing properly before you buy another set of float bowls.
got it. You are right i was thinking about the brass tube.
I have never seen a cracked bowl, but filling until below where the red pipe
is visible should rule that out. 99.9999999999999% sure no new bowls are needed.
Attachments
20170514_212045.jpg
999homer

Post by 999homer »

Hey Rijko that's a later type float bowl mine is a J
Have spare later bowls
Rijko

Post by Rijko »

always happy to learn, what's the difference ?

I have a spare set of carbs and the outer bowls are stamped K on the bottom, the center one L.
Would you know the meaning of that ?
Rijko

Post by Rijko »

ah, found the J bowl.
Attachments
J-float.jpg
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Couple of things to note. Sometimes the floatbowl can be bent out of shape by overtightening the screws. This inhibits the float action by catching on the sides.
Also the gasket surface can become uneven try rubbing it on some wet and dry taped to a piece of glass to make it flat. Dont use too high grit because you want it to be coarse so it bites into the gasket.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
999homer

Post by 999homer »

So float height for a J is what , is it measured with or without a gasket should it be tilted ??????

Help please