Evening Friends, Just Saying Hello!

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
drfeelgood

Evening Friends, Just Saying Hello!

Post by drfeelgood »

Just joined so I thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. Like many of you, I yearned for and missed the total sensory experience of owning a two stroke triple. The last time I owned such a machine was at the end of the 1970's and to be honest, even after years of many different and in many ways faster and better handling bikes, I had to buy another. So here we are, and two months ago I was lucky enough to buy a 1973 GT 380. The bike came from Germany and appears to have done only about 15K miles from new. Someone has at some time shared a little love with the bike and the condition is not too bad at all. I just have to get my head around the electrics and get some sparks! So there you go, I live near Telford and it would be great to meet up with any fellow owners locally. For your interest I've added a few photos of the bike. Bye for now.
Attachments
IMG_20180514_155635.jpg
IMG_20180710_080625.jpg
IMG_20180710_080637.jpg
IMG_20180710_080603.jpg
IMG_20180710_080543.jpg
barney01

Re: Evening Friends, Just Saying Hello!

Post by barney01 »

Hi and welcome to the forum/madhouse! You have definately come to the best place for help and advice as there is lots of knowledge and experience on here. Nice looking scoot you have there though you are obviously single as the bike is in the house.... :lol: What are your plans? Ride it as is or restore? Nice intro by the way :D
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Welcome to the asylum, Doc.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
es2GT550

Post by es2GT550 »

Nice bike - looks better than mine but it's all about enjoying them -good stuff
drfeelgood

Post by drfeelgood »

Cheers for your comments. I'm planning to keep the bike and so there is going to be no major need, desire or campaign for a fast and immaculate rebuild. In due course I'll make her smarter but for the time being, the objective is to get her up and running, tweak the issues and then as time and money become available, glitz and glamour will be added. I will, no doubt, be seeking all your technical knowledge and hints in due course. I recently got a (fairly dodgy but serviceable) loom from DK's. If anyone can give me hints about the wiring, in particular what goes where at the front section end of the loom, it would be appreciated. The back section appears to be plug and play but in the past someone has been playing with the front section wires out of the ignition switch and at the instrument console. Headlamp wiring is all in very weird non-stock colours too and like most mere mortals, electrics 'ain't ma thang'. Be safe.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Here you go for a start..
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_ ... /index.php
Note the wiring diagram.
Just to note US models had a slightly different loom but hopefully yours is EU
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Scotch750

Post by Scotch750 »

Wuh, welcome Doc and at lsat someone does a good intro !
Our Baz is a Suzuki parts dealer (wiring etc) and you might get some help from Bluehaze brakes (Phil) on the forum.
He lives in Telford.
Cheers Scotch.
drfeelgood

Post by drfeelgood »

Thanks for your help. Brakes wise, I've already stripped and rebuilt the master cylinder and front caliper after it leaked like Niagara falls after I added fluid. Still rubbish front though (maybe pads are swollen and tired - a smooth and shiny disc can't help you stop though!). The rear has new shoes and is grand. I met Baz at the Bradford Arms a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned Phil. I'll try to track him down for a natter. Thanks again.
geoffersgra

Post by geoffersgra »

Nice bike & nice intro. There are certainly some very knowledgeable people here who are always willing to offer help & support, along with a healthy dose of banter. :lol:
I've just finished my restoration & found it invaluable.
Geoff
GT550K 1973
RGV 250 1994
Ducati 1200s Multistrada 2012
Ducati 749. 2005
wents75

Post by wents75 »

Hi
Looking nice . My 550 took 3 years your definitely in the right place these guys really know there stuff!
Good luck
Wents