GT380 questions

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
barney01

Re: GT380 questions

Post by barney01 »

Just to add one thing if you are using the choke, don't be tempted to turn the throttle at all. Even lifting the throttle valves a little will render the choke circuit useless.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
JonnyAstro

Post by JonnyAstro »

I see.. How to tell if they are resistor caps?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

There's an R in the name - mostly.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/resistor ... s.1209229/

Just don't fit resistor plugs AND resistor caps if you have electronic ignition.
One or t'other.
Neither if you are on points.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
JonnyAstro

Post by JonnyAstro »

I know that the plugs have an R in the part number if they are resistor types, but how do I tell if the plug caps have resistors?
Jon
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Check the link 2 posts up.
JonnyAstro

Post by JonnyAstro »

OK - turns out I had resistors in the plugs AND the caps... New set of B8ES plugs fitted now, and there's a noticeable improvement in throttle response. Time will tell if it helps the warm starting, but I think it will!
Next question - the restorer has re-inserted the original white rubber damper bungs between some of the cylinder fins. They are a bit "off white" and there's not enough of them.
Can I just take them out, or do they actually reduce resonance and ringing of the fins?
If I do need them, where to get them?
Jon
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

There aren't any on my 550A barrels and it makes no difference.
There won't be any on the 550J either......
If you want some, get some nylon rod the correct diameter and cut the number you need. Tap/push them in gently with a bit of wood with a V cut in the end.
JonnyAstro

Post by JonnyAstro »

Went for a great ride this evening - coming up to 500 miles since the engine was rebuilt (by previous owner) so I'm giving it a bit more work to do. It sounds great and seems to be going how I'd expect - can't wait to get it revving properly...
Couple of trivial things: Sometimes the gear indicator briefly flashes "3" when I'm in neutral. Put it in first and the "1" is solid, then all the others seem fine as I go up and down the 'box. Is this a common thing?
There's a resonant rattle from under the tank. Only at low revs (above about 4k it goes away, except on the over run when it chimes in again). The rattle is tinny and fixed frequency when buzzing - sounds like something is loose, but I just can't seem to locate it.
Anyone else had this and found out way it was? Maybe the Ram Air covers?
Jonny