malky - how you doing with that GT250?

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
redliner

Re: malky - how you doing with that GT250?

Post by redliner »

thanks - that ozebook link is useful as a quick reference guide.

I'm really chomping at the bit to get started with this - just hoping for a dry day over the weekend to get the bike outside for a start-up test - def not doing it inside the workshop with all those other bikes in there, just in case! :o
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5
redliner

Post by redliner »

work starts today - first off, battery fully charged, check petcock for leaks - all seems ok, vacuum working. Before thinking about kicking it over, might as well check the ignition timing. Just as well - LH points set kaput. New full set ordered. Ahh the joys of 70s 2-strokes - fine one day then farked the next ! :D
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5
malky

Post by malky »

No work here -ita p*$$*ng down again :evil:
malky

Post by malky »

Eureka !!!! It lives
The new carbs went on -but then the piston in the left hand one would not come out? - slacken off the mounting bolts and out she comes - very carefully bolt it back on nipping each side up a bit at a time and all is well
New points and solder in new condensers - fight with the air box and we are ready to go - three kicks and we are away - set the idle and it's running like a gold watch -what a bloody faff this bike has been -it's fought every inch of the way but I have to be honest -I did enjoy my victory pint tonight
Result - another one rescued !!!!
Mal.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Excellent news, but don't imagine for a second that's 'it'. You are being lulled into a sense of false security before the 'kick in the 'nads'. :lol:
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
malky

Post by malky »

Al you are right there! I have a feeling she is still going to throw the occasional tantrum - I think she was enjoying rusting in peace in the garden for all those years :tw
redliner

Post by redliner »

nice one malky :) still no joy with the one here, though. Found out that the 'mint' condition NOS fueltap I purchased at considerable expense to replace the two previous leaking ones also leaks like a sieve. :x Crankcases full of fuel yet again :( . Been sorting that out today, and have the carbs off again to clean/check/rebuild - done this so many times now, think I can do it with my eyes shut. BTW - did you set float height at 13.6mm or something else? Ignition timing checked after new points fitted - seems spot on, just waiting to get the carbs back on and we'll have another go, using a remote tank. Just get it running is the target at the moment - will worry about those F*****G fuel taps afterwards.
Suzuki GT250M
Suzuki GS400B
Kawasaki KZ550LTD
Honda CB360G5
malky

Post by malky »

Tbh left the float height as it was think it was about 14mm - it didn't look like it had ever been touched reset the timing only as always seems to be the case run out of adjustment on the Base plate so ended up opening the points gap to compensate and away she went
malky

Post by malky »

Out to the garage today to go for a little spin as it's a lovely day ignition on choke on kick and ------ kick and kick the bugger wouldn't start eventually went on the bump reluctantly - now this was starting first kick last Saturday - its starting now after six or seven kicks but feels a bit boggy off idle - once it's running it goes really well -crisp right the way through the revs and goes like the proverbial off a shovel it just doesnt like starting very much -anyone got any ideas ? :?:
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

What's idling like when it has warmed up?