To drill, or not to drill

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Hix2061

To drill, or not to drill

Post by Hix2061 »

Morning All
I'm contemplating drilling the brake disks on my 550J, so I'm not so scared when braking in the wet. I've tried wearing studded boots, and putting my feet down flintstones style, but alas they ae still not good. Before I sit for hours with a rule and compass, does anyone have a template ?
Cheers
Mark
1976 Suzuki GT550A
1973 Suzuki GT550J
Bultaco Sherpa350
Ducati multistrada
yeadon_m

Re: To drill, or not to drill

Post by yeadon_m »

I don't, but here's a picture and also a caution. I've gotta feeling that discs are harder than a hard thing to drill, and its better to get a firm who does this routinely to do it. Thats unless you are an engineer (I am not!).
Cheers,
Mike
ps: My GT750A has nice drilled discs, which came with the bike and I liked the look so I kept them.
pps: I avoid the wet disc effect by never riding in the rain ;)
Attachments
GT750 discs ready to refit005.jpg
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

+1 on Mikes comments about how hard the discs are to drill (hardened steel) and also about getting the proffessionals to do the job (needs to be done on a milling machine), but also in my opinion it's not worth the bother.
I don't think there's any proven advantage for braking in the wet with drilled discs and for that reason I'm replacing my drilled discs, which have been on the bike since I bought it in 1987 with a very nice pair of undrilled originals.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".
Hix2061

Post by Hix2061 »

Thanks for the info. I’ll see if I can get them done locally. I’ve got a couple of spares, so if they aren’t any better, I can always revert back.

Cheers mark
1976 Suzuki GT550A
1973 Suzuki GT550J
Bultaco Sherpa350
Ducati multistrada
stevewharton

Post by stevewharton »

Hi Mark, unless you get mates rated be prepared for a big bill, because coming from an engineering background and having done that kind of job many times, I can tell you it isn't a five minute job.
Cheers, Steve.
Look, my paintwork hasn't got "Fish scales" :x they're "Dragon scales" right!!! However, after some thought, I will accept "Black Marlin" or "Swordfish", but definitely not "Haddock" or "Cod".