550K strikes again

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
senicoli

550K strikes again

Post by senicoli »

tried to get to squires on the fkin thing yesterday it started missing and farting and then cut out altogether managed to start it and got it home on two pots found out today no spark on middle pot swapped plug for running outer pot one still no spark checked points gap and cleaned points faces and put in a new condenser still no spark dragged bike into dark recess of garage and ran it on two pots could see a healthy blue spark on centre points but not at the plug swapped coils for a brand new set I had still no spark at plug I am at a loss what to check next and would be grateful for some advise :?: :( :? colin
barney01

Re: 550K strikes again

Post by barney01 »

Hi Colin.
First thing i would do is remove offending plug cap, trim a couple of mm off the end then screw cap back on see if that helps, if not try different plug cap.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
senicoli

Post by senicoli »

barney01 wrote:Hi Colin.
First thing i would do is remove offending plug cap, trim a couple of mm off the end then screw cap back on see if that helps, if not try different plug cap.
thanks barney the new coils I fitted have new ht leads and new plug caps sorry I forgot to mention it I had tried your suggestion with the old leads and plug caps no luck I am baffled dont know where to look next :? :( colin
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Colin if you have a multimeter try this test
https://youtu.be/rRQ45lT2d3c
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

If the points are sparking, the condenser's shot. Or at best, has a loose connection at the points.
One of the jobs of the condenser is to stop the points sparking as they would then erode.
T'other job is to store the energy from that spark and transfer it to the coil to make a bigger spark at the plug.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

barney01 wrote:Colin if you have a multimeter try this test
https://youtu.be/rRQ45lT2d3c
I always use plug caps with NO resistor as you get a better spark - plus there's one less bit to go wrong.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

I have just re read your post. You say you cleaned the faces of the points. It's important to remember not to use anything abrasive to do this as we used to in the old days, as the points are now plated and they will stop working if this is done. The best way to clean the faces is with a peice of card.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
senicoli

Post by senicoli »

thanks guys whats a multimeter (sorry) will try the easy ones first new condenser and new points yes I did clean them with emery paper doh I wont do that again plug caps and resistors how do I tell the difference thanks again :? :( colin
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Different part numbers bud. Go on ebay and put in 'non resistor spark plug caps' then 'resistor spark plug caps'. I'm not at home or I'd look in the garage!

A multimeter is a meter with multiple functions - current (Amps), Volts, resistance (Ohms).

Many years ago a company marketed them as AVO meters.
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Alan H wrote:Different part numbers bud. Go on ebay and put in 'non resistor spark plug caps' then 'resistor spark plug caps'. I'm not at home or I'd look in the garage!

A multimeter is a meter with multiple functions - current (Amps), Volts, resistance (Ohms).

Many years ago a company marketed them as AVO meters.
I would have thought you would have been more at home with a Wayne Kerr :D