550M on 2

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
1250Bandit

550M on 2

Post by 1250Bandit »

Got myself a 550M to go with the 380 shed.
Problem
Right pot on fires when the choke is on
Just been reading "GT550M Carb Problem" post and It says the rh carb has no choke! so what's with mine?

I'm thinking stuck float or blocked or poss pilot blocked
What do you lot think ?

I will end up taking the carbs off so what are the float hight's and air screws out settings for a 550M
Cheers
barney01

Re: 550M on 2

Post by barney01 »

The right carb doesn't have its own choke but receives enrichment via a tube connected to the left and middle carbs. I would suggest your right carb problem is likely to be a blocked pilot jet or passage as they are very small
Float height is 25.75
Aircrews should be between 3/4 and 2 turns out but I would go with 1 1/2 turns out and adjust from there.
This may help you too
https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_ ... /index.php
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Now that the 3cyl website has been restored here is the carb manual for your info
http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/gt/manuals/su ... /cover.htm
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
1250Bandit

Post by 1250Bandit »

Had the carbs off last weekend, found bent jet needle on L/H/S and no washers under the main jets on all of them.
Found some washers in my carb collection tin & straightened jet needle as best I could.
Blew out pilots/mains and carbs with compressor re set floats, re fitted

Reset points, cleaned and oiled air filters,started ok & ran on 3 pots
went out on Sunday done 70 miles on it and its not a happy bike!

Wont rev out gets to 6K and stops, removed the air filters and its better but not right.
pulled the plugs today right/centre are ok but left was BLACK. all pots are sparking not a nice big blue spark but they are sparking.
Bit disappointed with the 550! my shed of a 380 would leave it standing at the moment.
Might pull the carbs again tomorrow, managed to track the guy down in Canada who restored it 2 years ago. He says carbs were rebuilt with genuine jets and gen points condensers.
I do like an electronic ignition, was thinking Newtronics where's the best place to get a kit from ? I have Accent on my 380 & its faultless.

What else I'm i missing here ?????
Attachments
IMG_20180505_1136477[1].jpg
barney01

Post by barney01 »

IMHO you can't straighten a carb jet needle. It really is a precision item. This will be the cause of the black plug which will be dragging the other 2 cylinders down. I have a newtronic works really well. If the carbs are not right and set up correct it will seem flat.
You can get Newtronic here
http://autocar-electrical.co.uk/newtronic-product-guide
Unfortunately you only have the PO saying the jets are Mikuni if they are not or worse Keyster then it will never run right. It does take several attempts to clean these carbs normally . How are the exhaust baffles? If they are clogged up this can reduce engine performance.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE