gt550 no clutch !

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
canaletto5

Re: gt550 no clutch !

Post by canaletto5 »

quark77 wrote:plenty of oil Allan , wasn t so much of a squeal as a metalic clunk , have backed clutch right off , clutch no pressure , no horri le noise when pulled in either , i ll go and do what you said inte "oven " er i mean garage , this is a hell of a way to build up a thirst for a beer :D
Dont forget you have to put a bit more than the 1500cc of oil in after a rebuild. That quantity only applies after an oil change. Kev
quark77

Post by quark77 »

can t get anywhere today , the adjuster will screw in beyond the thread of the locknut !! , pushrod will not push in so prezumably the other one is present ( i swear i never removed it) and i can get clutch up ! can t select any gears either with or without clutch pressure ( have i inadvertanly move the quadrant by one tooth ? don t understand by adjusting the clutch worm it can cause that awful noise when clutch is pulled in with engine running ! anyway hot a d bothered i m off to the pub ! well at least the starter motor now works fine blah blah BEER ! :lol:
julian

Post by julian »

you have definately done the main clutch drum nut up ,many years ago i had a 550m that clunked when clutch pulled in and that was the clutch drum nut loose tightened up no noise after lovely feeling clutch.
quark77

Post by quark77 »

cheers mate , i will investigate that tomorrow ,
quark77

Post by quark77 »

tightened the clutch drum nut ( was not to torque ) checked gear selector quadrant ( correct ) , clutch is pushing out when lever is pulled , when clut h is adjusted feels right , start the engine and pull clutch in , that awful loud chatter is still there and still cannot engage gears , when i put the borg and warner clutch on i didn t replace anything else , have i missed something here ?
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Next to the oil drain plug on the gearbox is another similar bolt but at an angle. Have you interfered with this? It's called the detent spring and stopper. If you have taken that bolt out by accident (we've all done it!) That could be the cause of your noise....and gear selection problems
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
quark77

Post by quark77 »

Barney , hooray ! found it a pin and spring from the old disintegrated starter clutch was lurking in the back ,would have been easier to see if i was working with the bike on a stand instead of the floor ! Whilst poking around with a spike it rolled into view , must have been stopping the gear sele tor arm from engaging and catching on the clutch ! i am now well happy and can t wait to get it out for a spin .must have been there for years til fitting the clutch disturbed it ! sobering thought
barney01

Post by barney01 »

You need a stand like this!
Attachments
Best thing I ever bought !
Best thing I ever bought !
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
quark77

Post by quark77 »

ah luxury :lol: