borg and warner clutch

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
quark77

Re: borg and warner clutch

Post by quark77 »

happens when i pull clutch lever in kev ,all plates corre t sequence 5 steel 6 friction
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

So it's travelling too far. If you are certain that the correct washers and spacers are in place then you are left with the push assembly pushing the pressure plate too far, I don't recall if it is possible to put the push piece in the wrong way around but check. The two push rods should be 138.5 mm and 189.5mm long respectively (The shorter one bears on the push piece). The only other thing I can think of is that the part numbers for the release mechanism components (The unit that has three screws holding it to the sprocket cover) is different for the K than it is for M onward, but I don't know why.
quark77

Post by quark77 »

i did wondor about that clutch release thing ! all pushrods have not been disturbed and the clutch worked well until replaced with the borg and warner , i can t find any info on having to change the clutch realease mechanism when doing the swap but it is a possibility i think
barney01

Post by barney01 »

I have checked and pushrods were the same part number throughout the years. As is the clutch push itself
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
quark77

Post by quark77 »

well its a weird one chaps , tried an original type clutch and its perfect ! borg and warner is now in the shed ! strange i know , i used all the same parts except the borg clutch basket and starter clutch , so now i have an original clutch ( did loctite those s rews in and renew the pegs , springs and barrels) now the bike is ready to go !NO horrible clattering
slosher

Post by slosher »

One thing i noted when i replaced to a Borg Warner type is that the large cog nearest the transmission is 2mm thicker than the old type.

Cheers Dave
GT750L
GT550L
TL1000 97s
T140V
Loctite Trained Engineer :lol:(since having the Bonnie)