borg and warner clutch

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
quark77

borg and warner clutch

Post by quark77 »

sorry guys , its me and the clutch issue again , fitted a borg and warner clutch to my 550 k works fine but clutch when engaged is hitting the clutch cover , used the one thrust washer ( not the two as in the old one ) pretty much ran out of ideas now , everything torqued properly , right no of plates in the right sequence , thinking are the later clutch plates thicker ?( grasping at straws now ) fed up to be honest " help "!
barney01

Re: borg and warner clutch

Post by barney01 »

Hi. I have a Borg Warner clutch fitted to my 550J with no issues so it sounds as if there is something extra that shouldn't be there or its assembled wrong.if you look here
http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_G ... ins/page-2
GT26 you will see the order of parts
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

quark77 wrote:sorry guys , its me and the clutch issue again , fitted a borg and warner clutch to my 550 k works fine but clutch when engaged is hitting the clutch cover , used the one thrust washer ( not the two as in the old one ) pretty much ran out of ideas now , everything torqued properly , right no of plates in the right sequence , thinking are the later clutch plates thicker ?( grasping at straws now ) fed up to be honest " help "!
Terry, when you say engaged, do you mean when the clutch lever is pulled in to disengage the clutch? How do you know it is hitting the cover? Kev
quark77

Post by quark77 »

kev its a hammering noise and the outer cover is marked inside on four places , the original clutch worked fine albeit with the starter clutch knackered ,
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Are the marks the same circumference as the clutch basket outer arms and are there matching scrape marks on the basket outer arms as well? If not, which parts of the clutch basket assembly are hitting the cover?
quark77

Post by quark77 »

still trying to work that out mate
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

Which thrust washer did you use out of the two and where have you fitted it? You should be using the one that fits directly behind the inner basket only. It is common to both versions of clutch assemblies. Is it possible you have inadvertently fitted the thicker one or fitted the washer at the back of the complete assembly ?
quark77

Post by quark77 »

fitted the larger thrust washer behind the inner clutch onto the clutch basket , i have an old version complete starter clutch set up that i ll try tomorrow , totally bemused to be honeat
barney01

Post by barney01 »

It's easily done...have you added an extra plate from the old clutch by accident?
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
canaletto5

Post by canaletto5 »

I'm still not clear Terry, does the noise happen when you pull the clutch lever in or when the lever is out? And do you have 6 cork plates, and 5 steel plates, assembled so that a cork plate starts and finishes the sequence ?