Indicator woes!

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
glawton550gt

Indicator woes!

Post by glawton550gt »

Hello Gents
Rebuilt the headlight unit recently carefully labelling the mass of wires etc.
On reassembly found front indicators not working off of switch and rears only light up with no flashing?
Checked all earths and connections and all appear sound (I do not possess a multi meter I'm afraid)
Battery is new Motobatt. Dismantled the tin can relay and in-erds look ok and in one piece, though 44yrs old.
Relay clicks once when handlebar controls used.
Any ideas would be greeted!
Cheers all
malky

Re: Indicator woes!

Post by malky »

Did you make sure you put the flasher unit guts back in exactly the same spot there's a little contact at the bottom that is a bit fidly to line up
barney01

Post by barney01 »

Hi
I know you say your earth connections are good but i would advise you to recheck because it sounds like that is the cause. Here is a wiring diagram to help you check
Attachments
GT550wd.gif
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

You need 2 21 watt bulbs to make the indicators work, so if the fronts aren't connected (or more likely, not earthed), they will illuminate ( that's a posh word for 'light', I've put that for Paul's benefit), and stay on. So..... check the front indicators have good bulbs and both sides are earthed first of all.
I'm assuming they all have the 21 watt bulbs in.
Last edited by Alan H on Wed May 30, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
KETTLE BOY

Post by KETTLE BOY »

With out the bulbs working, the Indicators will not work.. then concentrate on getting them to come on... check all the wiring in the headlight once they're working then the flasher units will start working ( clicking on and off ) providing it's been Earth properly... the main thing is to get the front indicators on at least, the back ones will come on, but not flash if the front ones aren't working, as they use the bulb to complete the circuit.. If the bulbs are not coming on, it won't work ... Are the bulbs ok.. Take them out, & Check them with a wire on the body ( of the bulb) and touch the bulb centre on the positive on the battery.. It should come on.. Even if it looks ok, it might be faulty? If not then change the bulbs..
GT750 J 1972
GT750 L 1974
Z900 A4 1976
ZZR1100. 1998
Breville Sandwich Maker
I'm never wrong.. Once I thought I was, but I was mistaken.

raysunners

Post by raysunners »

earth gt750.jpg
earth gt750.jpg (7.15 KiB) Viewed 250 times
Have you connected these?