What is wrong with this starter

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
tato81

Re: What is wrong with this starter

Post by tato81 »

Yes, it's later one. Are they interchangeable?
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

No. New and old starter clutches have to be changed completely, not in bits. Have a look on Alpha sports for details.
https://alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.h ... bike-parts

Pick year, then model, then 'clutch'. It doesn't show the early one as they are now unobtainable new.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
tato81

Post by tato81 »

Alan H wrote:No. New and old starter clutches have to be changed completely, not in bits. Have a look on Alpha sports for details.
https://alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.h ... bike-parts

Pick year, then model, then 'clutch'. It doesn't show the early one as they are now unobtainable new.
Alan, look. They are the same. The only difference is that there are 2 oil grooves on the new one. The clutch basket is identical.

Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Ahh, not an early one then. I do know that there's actually THREE types according to Reiner, and there's a choice of 2 widths of Borg Warner lock up parts. Nothing easy is there? All I can suggest is to measure, compare and try it. We all learn on here.
barney01

Post by barney01 »

I think it was Suzuki trying to solve a design flaw by modifying it and eventually scrapping it and changing to Borg Warner. I think perhaps it's worth having a special section on OJB? Just for the 550 starter clutch
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Strange how the starter clutch on the 750 (which has the same rollers, springs etc. as the early 550 one) never changed.
Possibly due to the 550 revving higher and therefore flinging the oil away from the roller faces? Just a thought.
This might be a discussion that just goes on.....Doubt that Suzuki would ever get involved in it!! :lol: