What is wrong with this starter

Post your problems / information on the smaller GT Models here
Alan H

Re: What is wrong with this starter

Post by Alan H »

Your top picture shows the cutout in the 'cup'.
The second picture shows the pin on the crank gear.
Hold the cup part with the cup facing 'down' and put the gear on the table just as it looks in the picture.
If you put the cup part over the gear so that the pin goes into the cutout, that's similar to how it will look when it's all rebuilt.
Don't forget the woodruff key (smallest part in picture 2) goes on the crankshaft before the gear is fitted, and make sure the washer is fitted and the nut tight. You didn't really need to take that off to remove the clutch back plate and starter gears.
I usually put a spot of thread lock LIKE THIS (click) on nuts like this so they can't ever come loose unless I want them to.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
tato81

Post by tato81 »

Yes. I know that the cup must go in the pin on the primary drive gear. I forgot that it's a 2 stroke engine. In the 4 stroke engine is different because the ignition occurs every two turns of the shaft. And that's what fooled me. I was worried that in this engine it's also important in what position the pistons are before i install the cup in the pin on the primary drive gear.
tato81

Post by tato81 »

barney01 wrote:Yes this is a very common problem. You need to remove the clutch and then the starter clutch. You will see that the rollers have broken up. You have to check that no other damage has been caused and that the starter clutch gear wheel has no cracks
Then if it is alright you need to buy and install these
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GT750-G ... SwBkRaCwoi
Yes, i buy these. But the part which has been destroyed is not included. What is the part of the picture called? And can I buy it somewhere? This blocks the springs on one side.

When I undressed the clutches, I saw something like this;

barney01

Post by barney01 »

Hi
That damaged part is not sold seperately according to my parts book or online suppliers. I think you would have to replace that starter clutch drive anyway because it will malfunction with that damage. :(
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
tato81

Post by tato81 »

And another demage:
barney01

Post by barney01 »

This is why Suzuki changed the starter clutch to Borg Warner....
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

Nowt bad about the early ones if the gearbox oil level is monitored and kept up with. I had the early type in my original 550J back in 1972 to 1976 without issue, used daily - and used hard! Just about to strip the 'new' '72 engine for the Yeti to see what's inside.
Proof that four strokes are over complicated
tato81

Post by tato81 »

I need these two parts from the picture.

Is it possible to buy it somewhere? Probably ebay. I will announce in the "BUY SELL EXCHANGE"

barney01

Post by barney01 »

The above two parts are sold attached to the clutch basket. 21200-34000. You can buy them new from GT reiner in Germany for £145. But try ebay first it seems the best option.
NO SMOKE .......NO POKE
tato81

Post by tato81 »

barney01 wrote:The above two parts are sold attached to the clutch basket. 21200-34000. You can buy them new from GT reiner in Germany for £145. But try ebay first it seems the best option.
No. Only part of the second picture sold attached to the clutch basket. That is 21200-34000.The part that is in the first picture is sold separately; and that is 12620-34003. So I need:
- 21200-34000,
- 12620-34003, or 12620-34004 for M modele

Probably 12620-34003 is for J, K i L and 12620-34004 for M model
But my looks like different;
teazer wrote:That same basic design was also used on the 750 and most bikes up to the GSXR etc. I don't have a 550 clutch or starter to compare but someone with both may be able to tell us if 750 parts will fit. Alan, perhaps, or Baz, what say yee ?
Yes. I am asking you for help
Last edited by tato81 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.